Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

U.S. or British Used Helmet? - Update at end of posts...

MikeS0000

Hello Gentlemen -

Well...., I know it's a Brit made helmet, but the insignia (Mechanics?) and writing inside (which I can't distinguish completely) looks US. However, I didn't think the Brit made US helmets had the rolled rubber cushion. Am I wrong on this?

Otherwise, a run-of-the-mill helmet.

Thanks and best regards! Mike

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

PS: Problems with image uploads, even small images get bounced for being oversized, so here are some links:

http://www.frontiernet.net/~masullivan/X-Helm0.jpg

http://www.frontiernet.net/~masullivan/X-Helm1.jpg

http://www.frontiernet.net/~masullivan/X-Helm2.jpg

Hello, Mike -

The USA purchased British helmets to issue to US troops and they included British helmets with the rubber "doughnut" rings, so your helmet could be US issue.

That said, I see nothing in the photos that makes me think that your helment was used by an American serviceman. I think that it could just as easily have been worn by a mechanic in a British [anti-aircraft?] unit.

I could easily be wrong. If you can somehow read the writing, you'll know.

Regards, Torrey

Hello Mike,

Inded, your Brodie is one of British manufacture. Also, Britain supplied 140,000 Brodies to the US government for issue to the American forces. The Brodies were issued from stock 'in hand', so there is nothing to say that Brodies with and without the Doughnut Comfort Ring were not included in the batch. As to the marking you show.. I personally put no store in this kind of marking. They could have been added at anytime during the helmets life.... mostly to add a little more value to what is in effect a 'relic' condition Brodie.. especially where the headband is concerned.

In as far as the symbol within a circle is concerned, the US Army Engineers emblem is a three turreted castle front.

Seph

post-18081-1249324634.jpg

Also, Britain supplied 140,000 Brodies to the US government for issue to the American forces.

According to Joe Sweeney in an earlier thread, it was more like 400,000!

Best wishes,

GT.

Thanks Fellows!

I did track down the insignia. The 'Crossed Hammers' is a generic insignia for a 'Mechanic' as used across the service. Looks to be an ID Number also. If his records didn't burn up in the '60s fire, may be able find out more.

- Best regards! Mike

• 2 weeks later...

8/18/2009 -

Helmet arrived. Interesting. The soldier's name has been nicely written on the chinstrap. "D.L. Wright." The inscription reads:

"Insignia"

Mech. Wright

16th A.A. Bat.

12th Sector (Huh?)

721638 (Service No.?)

on the opposite side is a list of names, most of which I can't make out, but at the bottom is:

(lot of writing)

the U.S.

Hell. "

Almost like a poem or saying.

The maker's stamp is "FS 56" with possibly something in between the S and 5.

I was thinking of trying to clean it up to see if it was more legible, any suggestions?? Tend to think it is legit, as this info is on the inside and not that legible, and also because I don't believe (?) insignia were used on the outside till after the war was over.

Thanks for any additional help!

- Mike