Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Helmet plate identification

mac

Gents

I am a volunteer at my Regimental Museum in Salisbury and the museum recently acquired a German helmet which was marked up inside with the name of a Wiltshire Regiment officer who had acquired/obtained/found/captured ?? the helmet in 1916. It is intended to display the helmet, linking it with images of the Regiment at or about that time bringing trophies such as these helmets back. We are trying to identify the German Regiment in question and we are hoping someone can assist by having a look at the helmet plate. I am not sure whether the helmet plate in question was linked to a particular regiment or was a form of general service plate, making it very common. Any assistance in this quest will be gratefully received.

Cheers

post-1559-1249150705.jpg

Mac,

So you were the winner!!

The helmet plate is a Prussian Heraldic Line Eagle and was the basic design for all Regiments of the Prussian Army. This obviously ties in perfectly with the pictures of the 1st Wilts and their recently won trophy's (this one included no doubt) after the fighting at Thiepval (against the Prussians) in Aug 16. From memory the inscription on the inside of the helmet also tied in with the Officer serving with the 1st Wilts at the time.

Looking forward to seeing it,

All the best,

Lee

(Ski)

Auchonviller and Ski

Many thanks chaps as we thought, hopefully with this information we can bring this object alive a little. Ski you are correct the officer was in the 1st Wilts and was wounded in 1915 so by the time of the 'helmet theft' in 16 he was an old soldier. In the photos you refered to we cannot pick up an officer with a german helmet. We have not at this point got a photo of the officer in question so the quest continues. Mike CORNWELL got the helmet at the end of the day on behalf of the museum trustees. I suspect he may have been bidding against your good self, if so never mind pop in one day and you can have a free chocolate biscuit !!!

Once again chaps

Cheers

MAC

MAC,

I'm glad it went to a good home. I did have a bid, but about £200 off of the end result, so yes i'll take you up on that biscuit.

Lt LT BARKER-MILL'S medal group (MC and 15 Trio) was also recently sold and so i'm guessing they were split from the helmet at some point.

I wonder if it was frowned upon for Officer's to have their photo taken with trophies hence no officer's in the picture with any souvenirs?

All the best,

Lee

Mac,

We are trying to identify the German Regiment in question

For the most part, these kinds of helmets had marking stamped inside of them. Frequently, these are found on the inside of the back visor. It is those markings that can tell us the regiment involved. If you would be willing to show pictures of the markings. I would be willing to look at them. Often these markings are extremely faint or illegible. Sometimes just wetting your finger a bit and wiping it along the mark will aid you in reading it. Examples of markings are found here:

http://www.pickelhauben.net/articles/Kammer_Marks.html

The basic explanation of markings is found here:

http://www.pickelhauben.net/articles/DepotMarks_5_09.html

Hope this is of some help.

Joerookery

Thanks for that I will give it a try when next at the museum. Its not in great order but inside the flap might give us a clue. I will report back. Ski....Sorry about that !!

Cheers

MAC

Joerookery. Following on your offer of help re the helmet in question, can you help me with mine? Inside in white paint? are the following marks B A R 67 1900 6.B ??? 1.2 all in capitals, the plate is exactly the same as the one shown. Grateful for any information. Regards Ralph.

Ralph,

Are you sure about the marking? Could it be FAR 67? Does the helmet had a ball top instead of the spike? Smells like Field Artillery Regiment 67, six battery. Pictures would always help!

Ralph,

Are you sure about the marking? Could it be FAR 67? Does the helmet have a ball top instead of the spike? Smells like Field Artillery Regiment 67, six battery. Pictures would always help!

Very difficult to read, doesnt look like the letter F it has a spike not a ball, sorry cant do pictures. Ralph.

Ralph,

Very difficult to give much direction without pictures. There could also very well be a Bekleidungsamt stamp for Regiment 67. Sorry I cannot be more specific without seeing it.

Thanks a lot for looking, if I ever master the art of uploading photos I will attempt again. Regards Ralph.

Edit: Emailed two photos to Atnomis who will upload them for me. Watch this space.