Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

40040 Pte A J S Roy, MM, KOSB

Chiad Fhear

Hi all ... I'm back again and needing some help!

I've been passed some information regarding a relation that I'd like to clarify/confirm.

Alexander Johnston Smith Roy (b. 21 Apr 1895; d. 2 Apr 1943) was awarded the Military Medal for 'bravery in the field' during WW1. His service details are in the Subject line.

Can anyone help?

Regards

Chiad Fhear

Hi Gary

Thanks for that, but I've already got it off Ancestry. Unfortunately it doesn't give a great deal of information, given that I'm trying to find out what he was actually awarded it for to add to his 'page' in my book.

I've found his entry in the London Gazette, 5th Supplement of Friday the 7th of February 1919 but it simply gives a list of recipients under their respective Regiments.

Aye mair questions than answers!

Regards

Chiad Fhear

Hi Chiad,

MM's in the Gazette only list recipients, not the details of the award. You might want to search war diaries or unit/regimental histories - even these may not provide the info you're after but worth a try.

Cheers,

David

Thanks Dave

I'm now waiting for the KOSB Museum to respond, hopefully with an answer. Meanwhile ... is there someone out there ... ?

Regards

Chiad Fhear

• 8 years later...

Hullo Chiad Fhear,

My name is Ian Firth, and Alexander Johnston Smith Roy was my grandfather who I never met, as I was born in 1947.

His daughter, my mother Margaret Wright King Smith Roy, who married my father Albert in 1945 is 92 years old in July,

and Dad was 95 last Saturday .

I have in my possession his medals which I had repaired several years ago by the local field officer in the RBL. 

I tried to research in a rather amateurish way his citation, but to no avail as it seems a lot of records were lost in WW 2 by

incendiary attack. I do have his army form Z.18. Certificate of Employment During The War.

I am sorry I don't understand the gaelic so your name has no clues as to how we may be related.

Yours Intrigued,

Ian Firth

Google translate Scots Gaelic to English gives Chiad Fhear = First One👍

Steve

• 1 month later...

Thanks for that " tullybrone", b  ?ut these pseudonyms don't help, and chiad fhear's  post was dated 2009. How do I locate his personal details, is he alive or dead ?

To quote him " more questions than answers "

• Admin

Child Fhear last visited 7 years ago. You can try sending him a personal message, which he will pick up if he is still using the same email address that he registered with.

• Admin

Only moderators can see email addresses, but clicking message on his profile will send a message to the email address he registered with. 

Michelle