Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas Gould 41765 Norfolk Regt which Battalion

wulsten

Can anyone tell from info supplied which Battalion served with is correct CWGC states 7th Batt SDGW states 1st Batt, if not mistaken both units were serving in similar areas during the time of death in 1918, can anyone put me right ?

VILLERS HILL BRITISH CEMETERY, VILLERS-GUISLAIN

CWGC

Thomas Gould

Private 41765 Norfolk Regiment Unit Text: 7th Bn. Age: 24 Date of Death: 28/09/1918

SDGW

Service No: 41765 Norfolk Regiment Unit Text: 1st Bn

I can't put you right but I may be able to help narrow down your options. The Norfolks History (I've not looked at the Diaries) reveal 1st Norfolks were in action around Gouzeaucourt on the 28th where they had 9 o.r's killed and 40 wounded. The 7th Battalion were in action just outside Epehy on the 19th and had 9 o.r's wounded during a German barrage on the 24th, the battalion was not engaged for the rest of September.

Villers-Guislain is almost the same distance between Gouzeaucourt and Epehy. I don't know if Pte Gould was wounded or kia and it does appear that the Cemetery was used for battlefield clearance. I only found 1 other Norfolks man buried in the Cemetery and his death is recorded 10 months earlier. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Keith

Keith, thanks for the post the information will be useful to me anyway as i have sent an email to the CWGC to see if they can confirm the battalion so the information you have supplied will help either way if i can confirm the Batt, Geoff

If all else fails try the Regimental museum at Shirehall, Market Avenue, NR1 3JQ. They've always been very helpful.

• 1 month later...

CWGC have come back with info that states 7th Batt, i suppose the only other way apart from the museum would be to check the printed version of soldiers died for the Norfol regiment

Chris, thanks for that, but at the present visiting the NA will be quite some time, so was hoping someone may have a printed copy of soldiers died to the Norfolks to check if it may be a transcribing error, with the sdgw cd

Printed copy of SDGW states 1st Bn Norfolks. Enlisted Newcastle. No mention of any Goulds in 7th Bn. May have been attached to 7th but check with Regtl. Museum.

Lionboxer