Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

16th Battaltion Machine Gun Corps

chrisinstaffs

Would anyone have any detailed information on the 16th Battalion Machine Gun Corps at the Battle of St Quentin in 1918. They suffered very heavy casulaties - including my gr gr uncle - but I am trying to work out exactly where the 16th Division's machine gunners would have been located between St Quentin and Epehy ?

I would welcome any help on the formation of these MGC Battalions as well -as my ancestor seems to have transfered with many comrades from a Royal Warwickshire Regiment battalion into 16 MGC in late 1917 ?/ Was this common >>

Thanks

Chris

post-48210-1249050436.jpg

• 3 years later...
Guest Colin Shearer

Dear Chris, I am also looking for information on the 61st Battalion for an exhibition we will be putting on next year. The person the MGC exhibition board will be dedicated to is Sergeant Groom 8582 who was killed on what was I think the first day of the German offensive in March 1918. He is listed as having been killed at St Quentin and like your great great Uncle was originally in another unit in his case The Seaforth Highlanders. His name appears on the Poziers Memorial and also the Holkham Village memorial. If I come up with anything I will let you know. If anyone can add to the information on the 61st battalion that would be much appreciated. Kind regards Colin