Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Awarded Medal for Zeal (Russia)

jay dubaya

Hi Folks,

I've a local man who was awarded the 'Russian' Medal for Zeal, can anyone tell me what exactly this. I have an inkling as to why it may have been awarded but would ike to know for sure. Any help will be much appreciated,

cheers, Jon

Apparently:

The Medal for Zeal was awarded for meritorious service to the Russian government, in times of war and peace. It came in 4 classes: the large gold medal, small gold medal, large silver medal, and small silver medal.

Thanks Diane,

I'm not so sure as to why it may have been awarded now that 'service to the Russian Governent' is in the frame. The man in question died in October 1917 and was serving with the RNR at the time,

cheers, Jon

It was commonly handed out before the war for civil merit.

During the war it was awarded for military and civil merit of a noncombat nature.

Many, many Germans received it before 1914, especially Hessians.

Hello Jon

The Russian Medal for Zeal issued to British servicemen was usually the 28mm dia silver medal.

Medal would be suspended from the ribbon of St. Anne or St. Stanislaus.

The ribbon of the former is Red edged with Yellow. The latter, Red with Red, White, Red Boarder Stripes on each side.

Obverse has the bust of Nicholas II facing to the left.

Reverse has the inscription FOR ZEAL with semi-wreath.

These medals appear to have been issued to non commisssioned officers and men who served in an exemplary manner.

From my research into RAF recipients, for the Russian Civil War period, the St Anne Ribbon was usually allocated to Corporals and Sergeants.

Regards

Rob

You might find the recommendation file for the award using the ADM 12 indexes. If it was aproved for unrestricted wear, there had to be permission for the from the King and even for restricted wear aproval was needed so there was usually a paper trail. There were several occasions when Russian awards were granted for men who went no where near Russia, for example the Battle of Jutland. Also there were British units that served on the Eastern Front or in Russian waters, before the October (Bolshevic) Revolution.

Here's a thread I prepared earlier about ADM 12.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...c=70047&hl=

Many thanks to all for the replies. Further research may suggest that this may not have been issued for the event that took place in which I believed the medal was issued. 4 RNR sailors were involved with only one surviving, CWGC only mentions this award on my mans listing but interestingly the other 2 entries mention the event that took place with no mention of awards.

Thanks for the link to your invaluable post per ardua,

cheers, Jon