Remembered Today:

John Thomas Ryan

glryan

I'm looking for further information on my great uncle, John Thomas Ryan, known as Jack. Apparently, he travelled from Rathdowney, Co. Laois to Cork in 1915 to join the army (4
th
Battallion Leinster regiment). It seems he was under-age. He was mustard-gassed, and wounded by shrapnel, and subsequently had poor health.

He returned to Rathdowney and married in 1927. He had 5 sons and 1 daughter.

He died in Rathdowney on 18
th
March 1946, aged 46.

jt

Do you also have a service number for him,and any other detail,such as did he get a pension as a result of his misfortunes, which might help ? It will make it easier to get started on a story as the 4th Battalion Leinsters was a reserve Battalion which provided trained troops to the front line Battalions. At some stage he would have graduated in order to fight and get gassed and wounded.

Sotonmate

I'm looking for further information on my great uncle, John Thomas Ryan, known as Jack. Apparently, he travelled from Rathdowney, Co. Laois to Cork in 1915 to join the army (4
th
Battallion Leinster regiment). It seems he was under-age. He was mustard-gassed, and wounded by shrapnel, and subsequently had poor health.

He returned to Rathdowney and married in 1927. He had 5 sons and 1 daughter.

He died in Rathdowney on 18
th
March 1946, aged 46.

Being from Rathdowney and joining the Leinsters makes sense, but traveling to Cork to join does not, as the Royal Munster Fusiliers were based in Cork, I would bet that he left for France via Cork. Can you get any of his medals, he should have at least 2, and on the edge of the medals will be his service number. It is funny the ones that survived are harder to trace especially in Ireland.

Sherpamick

Being from Rathdowney and joining the Leinsters makes sense, but traveling to Cork to join does not, as the Royal Munster Fusiliers were based in Cork, I would bet that he left for France via Cork. Can you get any of his medals, he should have at least 2, and on the edge of the medals will be his service number. It is funny the ones that survived are harder to trace especially in Ireland.

Sherpamick

Sorry -- don't have any other information about him!

JT

The main depot for the Leinsters was in Birr,but he could have went to Cork to join the Leinsters,A man could elect to join any regiment he wanted.Maybe he went to Cork because he was under age and nobody would know him. A quicK look at "SDGW Leinster Regiment" reveals many men from all over the country who enlisted in Cork with the Leinsters and who became casualties.

Regards,

Murrough.

The main depot for the Leinsters was in Birr,but he could have went to Cork to join the Leinsters,A man could elect to join any regiment he wanted.Maybe he went to Cork because he was under age and nobody would know him. A quicK look at "SDGW Leinster Regiment" reveals many men from all over the country who enlisted in Cork with the Leinsters and who became casualties.

Regards,

Murrough.

Thanks Murrough.

My ancestor didn't die in the war, though -- he was injured, but survived until 1946.

JT

I understand that,I only gave the SDGW as an example that your relative could have joined the leinsters in Cork as the "SDGW Leinster Regt" is a complete database of a % of the men who served with the Leinsters, I dont know if there is anyother records.

Regards.

murrough.

Murrough's explanation of going to Cork to join because he was underage would fit. As your original post said he died in 1946 aged 46 that would have made him 15/16 when he joined.

Sherpamick