Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where were 1/17 London in early July 1917?

DRIFTER

Does anyone know exactly where in the left sector north of the Ypres - Comines Canal the 1/17 London (Poplar & Stepney Rifles) were during the first few days of July 1917?

Are any pals related to those who served with 1/17th London during that time?

Is there any way I can find out my grandfather's company?

I've now walked the whole available area from the Bluff to Shrewsbury Forest via The Ravine; DCLI; Hedge Row Trench; Woods and Larch Wood Cemeteries; Hill 60; through Battle Wood (where my wife and I were badly bitten by insects, the bites still irritating ten days later – much worse than the bites received at The Ravine – as a point of interest lot of fish were seen in the pools at The Ravine).

During early July 1917 the recorded KIA losses were one (my grandfather) on the 4th (Menin Gate) P.G.Fuller, S.P Barton & FB Lorke on the 5th (all at New Irish Farm); Sgt. T Crouch; Sgt. A Parslow & Rflm A Wills on the 6th (all Menin Gate); of those KIA on the 5th one is at Woods Cemetery, one at Voormezeele Enc.3 and three remembered on the Menin Gate of those KIA on the 6th four are at Perth China Wall; one at Railway Dugouts and one remembered on the Menin Gate. I've also visited each of these cemeteries and graves where 1/17th soldiers are now buried. I have copies of the war diary and some of the trench maps but I've exhausted my sources as to exactly where they were that is unless any of you know differently!

If any relatives or those interested in 1/17th London from that time are on the forum I'll be more than happy to share what I have found out so far.

John, grandson of John Leahy

Does anyone know exactly where in the left sector north of the Ypres - Comines Canal the 1/17 London (Poplar & Stepney Rifles) were during the first few days of July 1917?

Are any pals related to those who served with 1/17th London during that time?

Is there any way I can find out my grandfather's company?

I've now walked the whole available area from the Bluff to Shrewsbury Forest via The Ravine; DCLI; Hedge Row Trench; Woods and Larch Wood Cemeteries; Hill 60; through Battle Wood (where my wife and I were badly bitten by insects, the bites still irritating ten days later – much worse than the bites received at The Ravine – as a point of interest lot of fish were seen in the pools at The Ravine).

During early July 1917 the recorded KIA losses were one (my grandfather) on the 4th (Menin Gate) P.G.Fuller, S.P Barton & FB Lorke on the 5th (all at New Irish Farm); Sgt. T Crouch; Sgt. A Parslow & Rflm A Wills on the 6th (all Menin Gate); of those KIA on the 5th one is at Woods Cemetery, one at Voormezeele Enc.3 and three remembered on the Menin Gate of those KIA on the 6th four are at Perth China Wall; one at Railway Dugouts and one remembered on the Menin Gate. I've also visited each of these cemeteries and graves where 1/17th soldiers are now buried. I have copies of the war diary and some of the trench maps but I've exhausted my sources as to exactly where they were that is unless any of you know differently!

If any relatives or those interested in 1/17th London from that time are on the forum I'll be more than happy to share what I have found out so far.

John, grandson of John Leahy

John there is a very readable account of this period in The Poplars by Ron Wilcox ISBN 0 9506258 Colin

Colin, Thanks, it sits on my desk as I type this, I agree it is excellent and Ron is both helpful and approachable.

John