Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Repression of War Experience,W.H R. Rivers,1918

206thCEF

from the Royal Society of Medicine Journal and written in 1917.

<<William Halse Rivers Rivers, FRCP, FRS, (March 12, 1864 - June 4, 1922) was an English anthropologist, neurologist, ethnologist and psychiatrist, best known for his work with shell-shocked soldiers during World War I. Rivers' most famous patient was the poet Siegfried Sassoon. He is also famous for his participation in the Torres Straits expedition of 1898, and his consequent seminal work on the subject of kinship.................During the war, he worked as a RAMC captain at Craiglockhart War Hospital near Edinburgh, where he applied techniques of psychoanalysis to British officers(Sassoon came to him in 1917 after publicly protesting against the war and refusing to return to his regiment) suffering from various forms of neurosis brought on by their war experiences.......................>>

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/pagerende...amp;pageindex=1

Joe

Hi Joe

I am currently reading Pat Barker's Regeneration trilogy, which is based on William Rivers and the treatment of Siegfried Sassoon and Wilfred Owen, amongst others.

My Uncle was admitted to Netley Hospital with shell shock, and I thought that perhaps it would give me an insight into how such patients were handled.

Andy