Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gunner Thomas Carney 84848

Guest Carnster

Guest Carnster

Hello!

I am currently researching my Great-Grandfather who has been most elusive. My Family have no records of what, where or anything else about Thomas Carney except what passed down verbally. I originally thought he was in the Manchester Regt but after doing some research it seems that he joined the Royal Garrison Artillery. I have his Medal Card, but it gives no additional Information.

I was trying to find out as much as possible about him, and as he survived the War, have found it quite difficult. Is there any way to find out what Battery he fought with? I realise the RGA no longer exists, becoming one with the RA so I'm a little stumped!

Any Info or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thomas Carney

DOB: 1884

No. 84848

Many Thanks in advance.

His MIC

Thomas Carney Royal Garrison Artillery 84848

He has nine pages in Ancestry Service records.

Hope this helps.

I will look later se what shows up

Cheers

Atnomis

As Atnomis says he has, according to Ancestry 9 plus 7 pages of service record therein, I have had a look and the total is more like 7-8 as quite a number are duplicated. Here are some details:- enlisted Dec 1915 age 31 years 324 days, next of kin his Father, height 5ft 61/4 in, posted to 135th Heavy Battery. 16th May 1917 recd 3days FP no 2 for neglect of firearm. To Class z 13-10-1919. Address on joining was given as 32 East Street Stockport.Ralph.

You might note that 135 Heavy Battery is post war as was his service with 450 siege battery. He trained as a gunner with No. 42 Company and was posted to 259 Siege Battery on 17/11/1916. I presume he went overseas with them although I haven't looked at the file - only what has been posted here.

Mark