Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian "Blue Ribbon"?

eyes

Good evenin All

I have a Canadian (A/Staff Sgt, enlisted Sept 1915, served 7 months with 9 Canadian Field Amb, 3 Canadian Div, then posted to a Medical Depot in UK due to sickness in early 1917) who on 20 Mar 1919 was "authorised to put up an additional Blue Ribbon". No further details. Any ideas what this might be? Many thanks.

Colin

Colin,

It might be an Overseas service Chevron.

These were awarded for each qualifying year served Overseas and for Canadians that meant the UK too (for British UK service was obviuosly not consider Overseas).

Blue ones were issued for service from 1915 onwards. a red one for service in 1914.

Joe Sweeney

Colin,

It might be an Overseas service Chevron.

These were awarded for each qualifying year served Overseas and for Canadians that meant the UK too (for British UK service was obviuosly not consider Overseas).

Blue ones were issued for service from 1915 onwards. a red one for service in 1914.

Joe Sweeney

Evening Joe

So as this chap arrived in Europe (England) in April 1916, and he was told to put it up in Mar of 1919, this "additiononal Blue Ribbon" would have been for just shy of 3 years service overseas. Meaning he probably already had two and this was a (tiny bit early) third. Interesting. I shall have to run with this.

Thank you very much for the info and it's quick appearance.

Colin

Joe,

Just wondering how the 'overseas' service related to the Royal Newfoundland Regiment? Service was, technically, overseas but they were a British colony. I have medals but with regular ribbons attached.

thanks,

shawn

Service was, technically, overseas but they were a British colony.

shawn

While many at the time, on both sides of the ocean refered to Newfoundland as a colony, it was in fact a country having recived responcible government in the later half of the 19th century. When they decided to raise a regiment for overseas service it was attached to the BEF, therefore, I assume, since they were technally part of the BEF they would not recive an overseas ribbon for service in Britain, as no British unit would have recived one for home service.

Chris

Newfoundland was considered part of the Overseas forces and eligability for a chevron was the date the soldier left Newfoundland.

Joe Sweeney

Newfoundland was considered part of the Overseas forces and eligability for a chevron was the date the soldier left Newfoundland.

Joe,

Was this an automatically applied thing or was it at the soldier's request? Where would I find out if my relatives received theirs? Also, Sweeney is a popular Nfld. name....from here?

thanks for your information and help...

shawn