Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gazette dates for awards

Jock Bruce

What is considered as the 'correct' gazette date for awards and decorations - the date of the gazette or of the supplement ?

I.e. is an award gazetted in the Fifth Supplement to the London Gazette of 13 Nov 17, which was published on 16 Nov 17, considered to be dated 13th or 16th ........

Jock Bruce

Jock;

For all intents and purposes it's the date of the Supplement.

As I understand it, the LG was/is originally published on set dates. To prevent these becoming doorstops, the Supplements were published. Take these dates - those at the top of the page - as the effective one.

At times such as the New Year or Birthday Honours, the supplements could run into quite a number.

The accepted convention will be that the award's gazette date is 16 Nov 17.

It will be in the Index to Vol IV, 1917 (Oct-Dec); listed under the specific award (Distinguished Conduct Medal, Military Medal etc etc), alphabetically by surname [Caution! if the award of a Bar, these follow SEPARATELY after the main sequence] and then page number.

Long winded, but hope that helps....

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for help from anyone that has asked the GAZETTE for help related to a record. Since I am here in Canada it is difficult to get an answer some times. I have records in Canada that differ from what is in the London Gazette and although I wrote them a nice letter they have not bothered to respond (or at least not in the last 3 months). Perhaps someone else has an idea as to how best to get a response?

Richard;

By means of a quick response - this is not unusual. Awards etc to Commonwealth units would be gazetted in effect twice (as you've seen), but in the London Gazette first and the appropriate national one (Gazette of Australia/India/Canada etc etc) later. (To try the hypothesis, look at the excellent area of the Australian War Memorial site catalogue of gallantry awards to the AIF, which lists both GofA and LG gazette dates)

I think it's more a function of bureaucracy than anything else. I haven't detected a pattern to the time lag.