Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

19th to 21st August Auchonvillers

bmac

If anyone is going to be near Avril's between the 19th and 21st August be pleased to buy you a drink (numbers within reason!!!).

If not but if anyone wants any photographs of the French sector 1st July 1916 either side of the Somme let me know and I will try to accommodate you. Areas to investigate broadly: Montauban, Hardecourt, Maurepas, Curlu, Suzanne, Frise, Dompierre/Becquincourt, Herbecourt, Assevillers, Fay, Estrees, Soyecourt and one or two others. If time allows Fricourt and Mametz too.

I am very excited about this visit. Whole stretch of front never before seen. I have been translating the relevant French war diaries some of which come supplied with maps and I am looking forward to wandering some new French fields maps and camera in hand.

BMAC,

have a great trip and please post some pictures for us on your return.

I had a nose around the area last year and has Paul said there are some pretty bits around Curlu.

Regards and best wishes,

Scottie.

I am taking a group of 19 over and will be around Ulster Tower, Albert, Fricourt and Flers area on the 20th August. We will not be around Auchonvillers but in the local area so please keep an eye out, it would be great to have a beer bmac.

Regards,

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
If anyone is going to be near Avril's between the 19th and 21st August be pleased to buy you a drink (numbers within reason!!!).

If not but if anyone wants any photographs of the French sector 1st July 1916 either side of the Somme let me know and I will try to accommodate you. Areas to investigate broadly: Montauban, Hardecourt, Maurepas, Curlu, Suzanne, Frise, Dompierre/Becquincourt, Herbecourt, Assevillers, Fay, Estrees, Soyecourt and one or two others. If time allows Fricourt and Mametz too.

Four of us touring the Somme will be at Avril's from 18th to 22nd so we will see you there.

Ayesha and I will be at Avril's from August 30th to Sept. 6th, so please leave another 20 euros behind the bar so we can have that drink with you!

(at this rate, you will have the benefit of not meeting any of us, yet paying for all the drinks :lol: )

Bruce

Should be arriving late afternoon as I plan to drive straight to the Flaucourt area for a quick recce (also the weather for Thursday looks a bit iffy). So see anyone who's around at the bar in the evening.

Bruce and Terry: not taking any Euros and reluctant to leave the credit card behind the bar though I am sure you are both honest and upright citizens who wouldn't take advantage (or clone it). Maybe next time.....

Excellent trip to the Somme and hello again to the various forum members met there. Great few days.

Also a stroke of luck courtesy of the director and staff of the Historial, Peronne. Turned up more in hope than expectation on Thursday lunch time and asked whether they had a copy of the French Official History, which they did (not surprising). Lady in charge of documents, however, away on holiday and this section closed until mid-September. Nice lady on desk phoned director and asked whether we could get access. Answer: yes. Then asked whether I could take copies with the my camera. Answer: yes. So 200 pictures later had copied 400 pages of the narrative and annexes of the history in 2 hours. Brilliant.

Fantastic service and flexibility from all the Historial staff concerned. Wonder how likely that would be in many British museums? So, thank you Historial and a special thanks to the German and Latvian students acting as interns from the University of Dusseldorf who helped with the slight communication issues resulting from my poor French and one very helpful member of the Historial staff's whose English was equally poor.

Lots of photos of the French 1st day sector which, if anyone is interested, I can post some here.

I was there on Thursday. Were you the guy with what looked like a very posh camera photographing all of the exhibits?

Regards

John

Not me guv. I was out all day but spent the evening with a large glass of draught Hoegarden which strangely never seemed to empty. Funny that.

Then asked whether I could take copies with the my camera. Answer: yes. So 200 pictures later had copied 400 pages of the narrative and annexes of the history in 2 hours. Brilliant.

Fantastic service and flexibility from all the Historial staff concerned. Wonder how likely that would be in many British museums?

Lots of photos of the French 1st day sector which, if anyone is interested, I can post some here.

Wish the German National Library in Leipzig had the same approach. No photographs and no self-photocopying (when over 50 years old - which of course most is for us) which means a choice between quite a bill and hours of sitting translating and writing.

Photos always welcome!! :D

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

It was good meeting up with you and your wife at Auchonvillers . Thanks for posting the photo's of the French sector on another thread. It reminds me of the numerous visits we have made to the Curlu area.

Excellent trip to the Somme and hello again to the various forum members met there. Great few days.

Also a stroke of luck courtesy of the director and staff of the Historial, Peronne. Turned up more in hope than expectation on Thursday lunch time and asked whether they had a copy of the French Official History, which they did (not surprising). Lady in charge of documents, however, away on holiday and this section closed until mid-September. Nice lady on desk phoned director and asked whether we could get access. Answer: yes. Then asked whether I could take copies with the my camera. Answer: yes. So 200 pictures later had copied 400 pages of the narrative and annexes of the history in 2 hours. Brilliant.

Fantastic service and flexibility from all the Historial staff concerned. Wonder how likely that would be in many British museums? So, thank you Historial and a special thanks to the German and Latvian students acting as interns from the University of Dusseldorf who helped with the slight communication issues resulting from my poor French and one very helpful member of the Historial staff's whose English was equally poor.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your post. We always try to be helpful as much as we can. Working all day long in a museum like l'Historial change your mind about relationship and mankind : you would become serviceable or misanthropic. We try to keep outside the last ones and to promote the helpful person. You are welcome, anyway, and we do not forget.

Regards,

Guillaume de Fonclare

Managing Director of "l'Historial de la Grande Guerre".

M de Fonclare,

Thank you again for you and your staff's excellent service and flexibility. It was (and is) much appreciated. I suspect I will need another visit but I will email in advance this time!

Hopefully, at some point, I will be able to send you the results of my work on the British and French Armies' planning for and involvement in the opening day of the Battle of the Somme.

Regards

Bill MacCormick

M de Fonclare,

Thank you again for you and your staff's excellent service and flexibility. It was (and is) much appreciated. I suspect I will need another visit but I will email in advance this time!

Hopefully, at some point, I will be able to send you the results of my work on the British and French Armies' planning for and involvement in the opening day of the Battle of the Somme.

Regards

Bill MacCormick

You will be welcome, Mon Général !