Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hardest hit regiment

Desmond7

Tried search - can't pick this one up .. thus

Anyone know which REGIMENT had highest fatalities on 1st July 1916. I've seen one named but I would love to see confirmation from forum.

Ta Des

I have written down, the 10th Bn West Yorkshire Reg. Fricourt. Out of 712 casualties 400 fatalities. I can't remember where got figures, and can't vouch for accuracy. Might be worth checking. Geoff's engine isn't working at moment.

Cheers Mike

Edit Sorry it's Regiment you are after.

Appreciated both.

Anyone have definites?

Appreciated both.

Anyone have definites?

Going by Geoff's Regimental list, the Northumberland Fusliliers certainly had the highets casualty rate for July 1916, 2519, followed by the Manchester Regiment 1898.

Mike

That is a question, to which I have the answer not. Have had a good google, but nothing turns, up. Am sure some clever person will find out soon.

If Geoff's search engine was working, could work it out.

Cheers Mike.

Anyone have full fatalities for Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers ...?

I came across a quote in a 'bargain book' which stated they had the highest fatalities per Regt on 1st July ... I reckoned that was dubious, just wanted to clear it up.

From memory they would have had three service and two regular btns. in action that day.

I have written down, the 10th Bn West Yorkshire Reg. Fricourt. Out of 712 casualties 400 fatalities.

Cheers Mike

From the research I have done (wikipedia!!), the west yorks at Fricourt are quoted as the heaviest losses on the first day.

They marginally eclipsed the 1st Newfoundland Reg. (Beaumont Hamel) who suffered 90% casualties.

From 780 men only 68 available at roll call next day.

I am probably telling you things that you already know, but hope this helps in some way.

Cheers,

Sean.

In his book 'The First Day of the Somme', Martin Middlebrook gives casualty figures which show that 34th Division suffered the heaviest loss of any Division, with 6,380 killed, wounded or missing. (The next heaviest losses were 29th Division with 5,240.) The Tyneside Scottish and Tyneside Irish suffered more casualties than any other Brigades in the Battle. Middlebrook gives the following figures: 4th Tyneside Scottish, 19 officers, 629 men; 1st Tyneside Irish, 18 and 602; 1st TS, 27 and 557; 4th TI, 20 and 519; 3rd TS, 20 and 517. (The other battalions are not specifically mentioned as they had less than 500 casualties.).

Thanks Sean ... however, remember I'm seeking Regimental total ... not individual battalions.

Des

Des

These are men died on that date

Bedford.…………………………95

Border…………………………..475

Cheshire………………………….54

Devon………………………….387

Dorset……………………………68

DoW West Riding………………52

Durham L I……………………..208

East Lancs ………………………409

East Surrey………………………140

East Yorks……………………….161

Essex…………………………….207

Gordons………………………….125

Hampshire………………………226

HLI………………………………446

KO Royal Lancaster…………….122

KOSB……………………………133

KOYLI…………………………...760

Lancashire Fus………………….572

Leicester………………………….13

London All……………………..1932

MG Corps………………………222

Manchester…………………….704

Middlesex………………………541

Monmouth………………………49

Norfolk………………………….107

Northants………………………..34

N Staffs…………………………225

Northumberland Fus…………..1647

Royal West Kent…………………29

Rifle Bde……………………….192

Royal Berks……………………256

Royal Dublin Fus………………121

Royal Engineers……………….119

RFA……………………………..69

Royal Fusiliers………………..252

RGA……………………………11

Royal Inniskilling Fus……….832

Royal Irish Fus………………236

Royal Irish Rifles…………….954

Royal Irish Regt……………….8

Royal Newfoundland…………243

Royal Scots……………………450

Royal Scots Fus……………….49

Royal Sussex…………………13

Royal Warwicks……………..415

Sherwood Foresters…………..557

Somerset L I…………………..279

South Lancs……………………23

South Staffs……………………223

South Wales Borderers………….133

Suffolk………………………….198

The Buffs……………………..51

The Kings Liverpool…………226

The Loyal N Lancs……………..9

The Royal West Surrey………216

West Yorks……………………953

York & Lancaster…………….913

Yorks………………………….217

Peter

Brilliant - and your figures will be of great help to forum in times to come!

Martin Middlebrook includes a table in the appendix to The First Day on the Somme. I don't have our copy to hand at the moment.

Des

Putting the figues into context, these are the number of men commemorated or buried in cemeteries on the Somme with a DoD of 1st July. Included will be men who dled of wounds inflicted earlier. Not included will be men whose bodies were discovered late and were buried outside of the Somme area. Some men will also be included with their regiment total although they died whilst attached to another Regiment.

Peter

Bardess

KRRC has 1 man with that date of death. I have not listed the Regiments with very small numbers

Peter

Des

"The [Northumberland Fusiliers] suffered more casualties than any other infantry regiment of the line on that day" [July 1]. Tony Ball, 'The Northumberland Fusiliers and the Somme, 1916: A Case Study in Unit Deployment, Tactical Order and Casualities', Journal of the Society of Army Historical Research, vol. 85 (2007):310-45, at p. 312. I presume that the London battalions (see Peter below) were not regarded as 'a regiment' in the classic sense. The most casualties would lead to the most deaths, at least when casualty numbers were so high. Both the 102nd Brigade (including the Tyneside Scottish) and the 103rd Brigade (including the Tyneside Irish) had to be withdrawn within 6 days and the Tyneside Scottish took no further part on the Somme in 1916. (All from this article.)

Mike

Tried search - can't pick this one up .. thus

Anyone know which REGIMENT had highest fatalities on 1st July 1916. I've seen one named but I would love to see confirmation from forum.

Ta Des

And yet, oddly enough, the 101st, third Brigade of the 34th Division, suffered more casualties between 1st and 5th July than either of the Tyneside Brigades.

Hi

The bright eyed will have noticed tat I left the Lincolns out. Worse than that I added their 331 to the London total. Below is the broken down figures for the London Regt and the Lincoln figure. I plead a combination of Age and senility.

Lincoln………….331

London Regt…….56

London Rifles…..183

London Scots……219

Queen’s West........168

Rangers…………148

London Roy Fus..270

So Northumberland win hands down.

Peter

Gentlemen, I would like a little noticed information about the 1st Newfoundland Regiment losses at Beaumont-Hamel. From Veterans Affairs Canada ;

The losses sustained by the 1st Newfoundland Regiment at Beaumont-Hamel on July 1, 1916, were staggering. Of the 801 Newfoundlanders who went into battle that morning, only 68 were able to answer the roll call the next day, with 255 dead, 386 wounded and 91 missing. The dead included 14 sets of brothers, including four lieutenants from the Ayers family of St. John's.

Joe

I'm very surprised at the relatively low number of Royal Fusiliers. I thought for some reason it would have been much higher. Fascinating thread though!

A must for anyone researching 1st July 16 is "One day on the Somme" by Barry Cuttell. Not at home to check it but will do on Friday.

Excellent thread Desmond & contributors.

John