Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lancashire Hussars Yeomanry

Richardbrown77

Hi I would be very interested in any information on John L Collin 818 Lancashire Hussars, transferred to the Liverpool Regiment and renumbered 300209, many thanks Wayne

• 1 year later...

Hello PB,

Would be very grateful if you could do a look up for me, I'm looking for William Hampson born 1895, Bootle, Liverpool but lived in Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent, says he was 2/1st Lancashire Hussars but believed to have served on Western Front, cannot find any information about him. Somewhere along the line 17th Hussars has been mentioned but think this maybe 17th Battallion in C Squadron. Any help welcome as we do not have any other information about him.

Many thanks,

Lorraine Harris.

Hello PB,

Would be very grateful if you could do a look up for me, I'm looking for William Hampson born 1895, Bootle, Liverpool but lived in Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent, says he was 2/1st Lancashire Hussars but believed to have served on Western Front, cannot find any information about him. Somewhere along the line 17th Hussars has been mentioned but think this maybe 17th Battallion in C Squadron. Any help welcome as we do not have any other information about him.

Many thanks,

Lorraine Harris.

This is the only W Hampson whose photo is in the Weekly Sentinel, dont know if any use or connection

Geoff

post-9296-0-22209900-1433178461_thumb.jp

post-9296-0-90221500-1433178475_thumb.jp

post-9296-0-24610900-1433178489_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Geoff,

Thanks very much for taking the time to send the photos and newspaper report. Sadly, it is not the man we're looking for. His parents both died in 1907, he and his siblings went to live with their maternal grandmother, living close-by in Bootle, Liverpool, as shown in 1911 census. In July, 1914, he was living in Burslem, Staffordshire, when he married Ethel Leese, they had a son born here in 1915, then twin girls in 1917. We know he survived the war and had another daughter in 1924, still living in Burslem.

I have gradually managed to whittle down the long list of William Hampson's (no middle name), for whom there are records but still have a list of over 20 W or William Hampson and no closer to finding him. He is definately believed to have served on the Western Front and gives his twin girls the middle names of Ypres and Lorraine. He states on the birth cert of his twins that he is in the 2/1st Lancashire Hussars, his occupation he gives as boot repairer. Unfortunately, that's as much as we know about his service record. The 2/1st Hussars, I believe were a reserve force for the 1/1st Hussars, the 2/1st Hussars went first to Scotland but I think that he may have been transferred to the 1/1st Hussars, some of whom went to France in 1915. I'm still trying to make more sense of it but failing miserably, any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for your response, sorry for delay in reply but I only just picked it up.

Lorraine.

• 1 year later...
Guest janet1964

Hi i would be very grateful if you could do a look up for me,

i am researching my great grandfather.

Pte. Norman Birkhead, of the King’s Liverpool Regiment 20th battalion 49498, and formerly of the Lancashire Hussars Yeomanry, died from wounds on July 5, at the Field Ambulance, France on 6th july 1917,

any other information would be really appreciated,

jan,

Mate,

I would be interested in any details on two Lancashire Yeo men shown on ICC (Camel Corps) records;

Lane SA 2141 A/Cpl Tos 8Co to Sig/Cpl 3Bn HQ 1-17 (war diary) Ex 1/2 Couty of London Yeo (2141) to Royal Engineers (547855) to Sgt Lancashire yeo (115378) to RAF (Flying officer)

Ritchie Hugh 51121 Pte ICC Ex Duke of Lancaster's Own Yeo (1197) and Hussars

Its possibly Sgt SA Lane transferred to the Lancashire Yeo during the war but I have no dates?

Also how Ritchie appears in ICC records is unknown?

Cheers

S.B

I am sorry, none of the men mentioned in the last two threads are shown on the copy of the nominal roll that I have but there will be many men who served with the unit who are not included in that roll.

P.B.

• 5 months later...

I am researching Captain Thomas Geoffrey Rawstorne who died on 31st July 17 and is buried in Bard Cottage. I have his pre-war family information but am interested in any information that there may be available relating to his war service. I cannot find his Medal Card either.

Anything would be most helpful.

Wilhelm

I am researching Captain Thomas Geoffrey Rawstorne, 1st/1st Lancashire Hussars, who died on Tuesday 31st July 1917 and is buried in Bard Cottage.

I have details of his family, Eton, etc but I cannot find his Medal Card or very much relating to his war service.

Has anyone any information that may help give me some pointers?

Wilhelm

1 minute ago, wpf1958 said:

I am researching Captain Thomas Geoffrey Rawstorne, 1st/1st Lancashire Hussars, who died on Tuesday 31st July 1917 and is buried in Bard Cottage.

I have details of his family, Eton, etc but I cannot find his Medal Card or very much relating to his war service.

Has anyone any information that may help give me some pointers?

Wilhelm

Officer's medals had to be applied for - if the family didn't then there would be no medal index card.

Are you sure on the name and date of death - I can't see an obvious entry in the soldiers effects records for him.

Craig

There's certainly  medal card in existence (or there was, if you're looking on Ancestry some are either missing or badly indexed) -http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D5267149

Medal roll entry on Ancestry - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&db=IWOServiceMedalAwardRolls&h=216793&tid=&pid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=rDz24&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&rhSource=1543

Craig

Thanks Craig. No medal card appears to exist on Ancestry, I have put in a number of variations on his name but to no avail.

Wilhelm

Just now, wpf1958 said:

Thanks Craig. No medal card appears to exist on Ancestry, I have put in a number of variations on his name but to no avail.

Wilhelm

If the ancestry one is not available then the only fallback for the card is the single sided copy with the national archives. I suspect it will give at least some extra information, officers cards usually do.

Craig

Just found it on Ancestry, he is recorded as Thomas Geoffrey RAWSTONE!

Wilhelm

There are some mentions of the officer in the typed draft history I have. I hope the attached are legible.

I think the reference to  Lieut. G.R. Rawstorne in the 1914 list of officers is a typo.

P.B.

IMG_0119.JPG

IMG_0120.JPG

IMG_0121.JPG

Excellent, thanks for your information.

Wilhelm

• 1 month later...

Hi , I am seeking some information on my grandfather who served with Lancashire Hussars in WW1 , I believe he served in C squadron

tho i am not certain . his name was ,  Ernest Albert Jones D.O.B  17.05.1892  

DSCF3591.JPG

Hello,

Attached is the entry for the only Ernest Jones in the Nominal Role of the Regiment that I have. I dont  know if it is your relative but he is in C Squadron and the entry says:

S/Smith JONES, Ernest  t.t  A.S.C. (M.T.)    13/5/18

P.B.

IMG_0337.JPG

Thank you very much for the info , do you know what the abbreviations mean , i.e s/smith , t.t., ASC (MT) ?

sorry but not up on military abbreviations , thanks again 

17 minutes ago, PJ Jones said:

Thank you very much for the info , do you know what the abbreviations mean , i.e s/smith , t.t., ASC (MT) ?

sorry but not up on military abbreviations , thanks again 

ASC - Army Service Corps
S/Smth - Shoeing Smith
MT - Mechanical Transport

t.t. - probably 'transferred to' based on the context

Craig

• 5 months later...
On 01/05/2017 at 08:11, wpf1958 said:

Just found it on Ancestry, he is recorded as Thomas Geoffrey RAWSTONE!

Wilhelm

Hi Wilhelm. 

Have only just joined the Forum, 1.Dec.'17 and saw your post.  Have also been researching T.G.R. on/off for last twenty years, but with some recent resurgence.  Now have 100+ pages on him and am in contact with modern family members.  Have almost come to the end of my research until I saw your post.  Picked up a couple of things to further explore now.  What is your interest in T.G.R.?  He came from a very well-to-do family in my area and is on many local memorials along with others in Wales, Oxford and Berks.  Not found much of actual duties during the war but lots about life in general.  Perhaps we could exchange?

Big Makk

Hi Makk

Thank you for the post, most interesting. I am writing a book on Bard Cottage and a number of those buried in the cemetery. I have got some information on both him and his service but would be most happy to exchange information. My email is: wpf1958@gmail.com

Look forward to getting in contact with you.

Best wishes

Wilhelm