Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lancashire Hussars Yeomanry

Richardbrown77

Hi All,

I am having absolutley no luck in finding what happened to the Lancashire Hussars Yeomanry apart from the following which appears to be the only thing on them

The 1/1st was formed in Liverpool , in August 1914 and attachjed to the Welsh Border Mounted Brigade[3] In 1915 the Regiment was split up with RHQ and B Squadron joining the 31st Division , after moving to France it was briefley attached to the 2nd Indian Cavalry Division. The rest of the Regiment was attached to 35th Division , (C Squadron) and 30th Division ,(D Squadron).[3] The Regiment was reformed in May 1916 to form the VIII Corps Cavalry Regiment.[3] Then in July 1917 , the Regiment was dismounted and dispatched for training as infantry which was completed in September 1917 ,when the men joined a battalion of the King's, which was redesignated 18th (Lancashire Hussars Yeomanry) Battalion , the King's (Liverpool) Regiment.

I see they became the 'VIII corps Cavalry Regiment' but cannot find one word on them. I am interested in exactly where they were in France and what sort of role they played as I struggle to see what role cavalry where in such a static war. They were not dismounted until 1917 which implies to me they were still a mounted unit until then?

HELP!!!

The War Diairies will contain all of the information you seek. However, they may be accessible only at the National Archives, Kew, London.

Ken

I have a number of sources regarding the Lancashire Hussars but most of them are pre 1914.

I do have a nominal role of the LH ( cant remember where it came from ) but it is about 30 pages long- I am attaching a scan of one page.

Happy to look up any men ( or officers ) members might be interested in.

P.B.

post-63-1248857581.jpg

I hope this works - the answer you are looking for is contained in the publication

British Cavaly and Yeomanry 1914-18 compiled by Brigadier E.A.James - I have a revised edition here published in 1970.

Good information, thank you all.

Anyone have any idea where I can buy 'British Regiments 1914-18' by Brig E A James? I googled it and nothing really came up. I am now living in Boston, USA.

This may work on the other hand it may not.

I have just been in www.abebooks.co.uk - the search engine for books and can find no copy currently for sale. I have tried to export a scanned image of the relevant page - if this does not work - then please provide your email address and I will send the relevant page to you.

This may work on the other hand it may not.

I have just been in www.abebooks.co.uk - the search engine for books and can find no copy currently for sale. I have tried to export a scanned image of the relevant page - if this does not work - then please provide your email address and I will send the relevant page to you.

Hi Philip,

Is the page you are refering to the one from British Cavalry and Yeomanry 1914-18 by Brigadier E.A.James?

I have the one that states basically what I put in my first post. Is the one you talk about another one? My problem is, I know nothing of them after they were the VIII Corps cavalry regt. That would be wonderful if you could email that to me.

Richard

Richard - yes its the page from British Cavalry and Yeomanry -its too big to send as an attachment. What is your email address?

Richard - yes its the page from British Cavalry and Yeomanry -its too big to send as an attachment. What is your email address?

Thanks Philip

I have a number of sources regarding the Lancashire Hussars but most of them are pre 1914.

I do have a nominal role of the LH ( cant remember where it came from ) but it is about 30 pages long- I am attaching a scan of one page.

Happy to look up any men ( or officers ) members might be interested in.

P.B.

post-63-1248857581.jpg

Please can you look for an Alfred Frank Brown.

Many thanks.

Andy.

Andy,

I am sorry I cannot find your man.

I hope that the letter from a long serving member of the unit might be legible and provide some further information about the unit before and during WW1.

P.B

post-63-1248952160.jpg

Thanks for looking anyway.

I know he was serving in 1912 (I think in A Company). I have a series of photos of them at Camp that year if you are interested (Denbigh?) although I don't have them with me to-day.

Andy.

• 4 years later...

Hi,

I have the TFWM and BWM to 899 PTE Harry Bryers, Lancashire Hussars / 250241 PTE Harry Bryers 7 Hussars and Corp of Hussars.

Is it possible for someone to have a look at the Nom Roll of the Lancashire Hussars and confirm which Company and any other available info there is on him.

He migrated to Australia and I am in the process of confirming his WWII service, here.

Many Thanks

Ian

Hello PB

I have a trio of medals to Frank Calland GLOVER who was commissioned into the West Riding Regiment and served post war with the Lancashire Fusiliers (TF). I would be most grateful if you could please see if he appears on your roll. Thanks.

Regards

Ron

Hello PB

Thanks very much for looking, but I don't think that is him. F C Glover was an Officer with the West Riding Regiment sometime in 1915/1916. Is there another Glover listed ?

Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Ron

Hello PB,

Is there mention on your roll of 932 Leslie Williamson Vernon? He was either pre-war or very early War enough to earn the Territorial Force War Medal , and his service papers survive showing his transfer to the 18th King's Liverpool in 1917 and Tank Corps in 1918.

Secondly, would you like a photo of the memorial in St.Asaph Cathedral to Major H.L. Bibby Lan. Hrs., OC "A" Sqn. Egypt 1914-16 who was drowned in the loss of the troopship Transylvania 4 May 1917? If so, just send me a PM with an email address. Curiously, in the mid-1970s in my home town of Bangor I saw in an antique shop an inkwell made out of the hoof of one of his chargers! It was too expensive and offbeat for me as a student to buy, but it must be out there somewhere!

Clive

Thanks for that PB! He was the father of a distant relative of mine and at one time I was given his BWM/VIC pair (no sign of TFWM). Years later, she asked for them back so as to pass them on to her son, so I couldn't refuse.

Clive