Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another unidentified German photograph

high wood

Another recently acquired German photograph of British or French trenches. I have no idea where the picture was taken but the caption reads, kleiner minen.

post-6480-1248809394.jpg

complete stab in the dark-is it where Malins filmed his Somme material opposite Hawthorn Crater?

I will now take cover! :o

Cheers

Dominic

Presumably no idea when it was taken?

Robert

Absolutely no idea what so ever and it might even be the Eastern front. I bought it from a German dealer at W&P last week. No photographer recorded on the back only the caption in German. It presumably shows a German mine exploding as the photograph was clearly set up to record the explosion.

Note the two sections of short straight trench parallel to each other just in front and to the left of the explosion. These seem odd and might be the entrances to dugouts presumably in the German front line.

Thanks. Doesn't look like an underground mine exploding. More like the shell of smaller calibre Minenwerfer. It looks like a training area behind the lines.

Robert

Looks like the photo was taken from the east side of Station road, Beaumont Hamel, looking in the direction of Newfoundland memorial Park. Y ravine would be on the right just out of the picture

If it is, its a British shell exploding among the german dugouts and trenches.

Thats my stab at it!

regards

Tom