Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Only East Yorks in.....

EuRob

....Albert CWGC?

This is a bit of a spooky story and will tell......

A few months back whilst at home convalescing from a pneumothorax I decided to trace my family tree to see if any of my relations fought in the great war. In between doing this and looking on ebay for Imperial German medals, which I collect and have done for a number of years, I came across a pair of British medals belonging to a T.F.Hildyard E.Y. Regt. So I put a search in for his name in the War records etc. It came up and he lived at 26 Sharp St, Newland Avenue, Hull which is not that far from where I live in Hull. Thought nothing more of it, didnt buy the medals as not my area of collecting and forgot about it.

Anyway, I work as a Music teacher and we took 2 youth bands to Northern France, staying in the International School Hostel in Albert "Poppies Albert". We did 3 concerts that week, one at a canal festival 'La Cite des Bateliers', one in Paris and one in front of the Basilica in Albert. One evening I went for a stroll and came across the CWGC in Albert (near the HyperMarche) and thought I will go and have a look. As I was walking along the headstones I came across an East Yorks stone and the name ....TF Hildyard.

I couldnt believe it! How weird is that??? What makes it more so is that he is the only EYR in that cemetery.

Weird how sometimes things like that happen!!!

Was hoping to visit Lochnagar whilst on the trip but not enough time but did visit Historial de la Grande Guerre in Perrone.

post-45783-1248789178.jpg

Hi,

His photograph is in the Hull Daily News 05 October 1916.

His address is 17 Sarah Annes Terrace Walker Street Hull though.

Regards Charles

Rob,

When the Hull history centre eventually opens, it does embarrass me as it has taken so long, they should have access to that photo. He is not on the 'Sharpe Street Roll of Honour' Newland Ave which is still in situ or thereabouts, on the wall of Goodfellows Supermarket.

Regards Charles