Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
peregrinvs

British 6 Pounder Shell Case

peregrinvs

Hi,

On Sunday at my local car boot sale I came across a 1918 dated 6 pounder case. I didn't buy it as I had no idea what it was for.

I've since found out they were used in both naval guns and tanks. What's the going rate for one of these cases and is there a way of telling whether it's a navy or a tank used one?

Just in case it's there again next week. ;)

Thanks,

Mark

hudsonswhistle

Around £ 8-10.00 is the going rate

peregrinvs
Around £ 8-10.00 is the going rate

Thanks. That gives me a guideline.

On the other question, I believe that the land service (i.e. Tank) rounds are stamped 'L' and the naval ones are stamped 'N'. (?)

Out of interest, how rare are projectiles for these?

Cheers,

Mark

TonyE

Certainly the naval ones wil normally be stamped "N", but the tank rounds are not stamped "L" AFAIK.

Regards

TonyE

RobL

Bumping this one up again - is there a difference between the shell case for the 'long' 6 pounder, as used on the Mk I and Mk II Male's, and the short QF 6 pdr 6 cwt, and do the earlier shell casings (if there's a difference) command a higher price? I'm looking out for one or two 6 pdr's as would be used with the long 6 pdr

TEW
Certainly the naval ones wil normally be stamped "N", but the tank rounds are not stamped "L" AFAIK. Regards TonyE

Not saying there is a 'L' but I have a 6 Pdr Casing that has a Mark that could be mistaken for a 'L' This one is 12 inches high, almost 3 inches across base rim, and 2¼ Inches across the top. It is engraved Vaulx-Vraucourt 29 August 1918 and has Devonshire Regiment engraving so it will be 5th Devons. Sorry my nonclementure for shell casing parts is guesswork!

TEW

post-34209-1276541464.jpg

harrydeppe

i would like to buy one of these casing