Coventry and the Motor Machine Gun Service

delta

• 3 years later...
On ‎28‎/‎08‎/‎2009 at 18:41, tharkin56 said:

Picture of men called in from south africa via the magazine

the collins family in the MMGS

picture of the collins family in the mmgs

post-7184-1251495658.gif

Would anyone have a decent copy of this clipping or access to the Coventry Graphic where it came from?  These three were brothers. Gunner Edward Collins 1622 MMGS and Gunner Thomas Collins 1623 MMGS( later 321476 Tank Corps) and Sgt Charles Collins ASC(MMGS) all joined up on the same day 10/6/1915 per the Midland Daily Telegraph of that day along with Gunner Harold John Haycock 1623 MMGS and F.Waddington ASC(MMGS). The three Gunners stayed together and served in India with 22nd MMG Battery. I presume as they all enlisted through the MMGS recruiting system the two ASC would likely be fitters or artificers and assigned to an MMG battery - Narrowed down to two Frank Warringtons so far. Haycock was from Essex, but living and working as a fitter in a Coventry motor works. The Collins parents and some of the family emigrated to Canada before WW1. Edward Collins possibly returned to UK to enlist in MMGS. The two younger Collins brothers moved to Canada after the war working as mechanics and set up a motorcycle delivery service. In WW2 Tom Collins served in Canada training motorcycle dispatch riders and then after the war running military vehicle repair shop.

Tom Collins.jpg

Edited by david murdoch

• 3 months later...

I know this is a very old thread but I have just been lucky enough to purchase Wilfred Clarence Edwards MM and pair along with his dog tags and a lovely framed certificate regarding his action at Achiet Le Grand, straight from the loft of the family that just discovered them whilst clearing out the house, if anybody is interested I will post some photos

Old thread or not, I believe quite a few of us would be very interested 

I certainly am

80E7234E-8EBB-48AE-BA8F-FA2033BBE6B1.jpeg

974F9C8F-D32E-4B59-85FC-ADBF9B7B97C4.jpeg

8A47C2CC-90AA-4A34-AD73-2836AFBF1C76.jpeg

D967D13C-8772-4D57-93BE-912936D16E6D.jpeg

Thank for sharing such a wonderful collection. The picture of the Mark V is (for me) somewhat odd as he must have won his MM on a Whippet. Otherwise the elements make perfect sense.  The British Defence Medal indicates he must have served during the second war and the address is the same as in 1939.  

My notes on him are as follows:

2929 Cpl Wilfred Clarence EDWARDS

Born 26 Jan 96; the youngest son of John Thomas Edwards and Maria Louise Edwards. Baptised at the St John the Baptist Church Coventry on 8 April 96; family living at 8 Trafalgar St and father shown as a machinist. Living at 4 Croft Rd Coventry in 11 he was a gear case maker; in 15 same address and a metal and celluloid glass case maker. Unmarried, and religion shown as CofE, his next of kin was his father, John Thomas Edwards – mother was Louisa Maria. Marie E Edwards. Attested at Coventry on 1 Dec 15 aged 19 yrs 330 days height 5 ft 9 ½ inch; chest 39½ inch with 4 inch expansion.  Allocated number 2929 in the MMGS, he was mobilised at Coventry and approved at Bisley on 20 Mar 16.  (Motor Cycle dated 23 Mar 16).

Promoted aLCpl on 13 May 16 then posted to C Coy on 27 May, he was promoted Cpl on 27 Jun. Admitted Bury St Edmunds Hosp with tonsillitis 5 to 15 Aug 16, he deployed to France with C Coy on 24 Aug 16, therefore a female tank crewman. arriving Le Havre the next day. Transferred to C Bn on its formation 18 Nov 16, he was Hospised 31 Jan 17 with inflammation of connective tissues in the arms. Promoted to Cpl to complete establishment wef 6 Feb 17; then returned to duty with C Bn on 7 Feb 17.

Probably fought at the Battle of Arras. Attended 6 lb course at 2 Bde Tank School from 14 to 19 May 17. Later 200599 Tank Corps, he was granted UK leave from 5 to 19 Dec 17.  Rejoined unit on 21 Dec 17.   Converted on Whippet Tanks when C Bn as rebadged at 3rd Lt Bn.  Retrained as a driver and was awarded 2nd class prof pay as Tank Mech on 6 Aug 18. Whilst serving with B Coy, wounded at duty on 21 Aug 18, near Achiet Le Grand, together with 112399 Gnr SL Clark, “after their tank (B26) had been knocked out by a direct hit from enemy artillery, displayed most conspicuous gallantry by rescuing many injured infantry who were lying out in the open exposed to intense artillery and machine gun fire. They carried many to a place of safety and showed the greatest contempt of danger” for which both men were awarded the Military Medal (LG 24 Jan 19 and also Coventry Evening Telegraph 7 Dec 18).  The skipper was Cpl Budd.

Wounded in action on 23 Aug 18; GSW to right knee and legs. Casevaced to 49 CCS on 23 Aug then Hosp at Camiers on 24 Aug and then  Etaples on 26 Aug and then 15 Convalesvent Depot at Trouville from 29 Aug. Joined Reinforcement Depot ex hosp on 21 Sep then returned to duty with 3rd Bn 26 Sep 18.  Promoted Sergt on 18 Oct 18 vice Sgt Feldwick? and appointed class 2 tank mech on 26 Oct . UK leave from 8 to 22 Nov and rejoined unit on 23 Nov.  He returned to the UK on 13 Feb and was demobilised 17 Feb 19 to his home address 4 Croft Rd in Coventry His MM was sent to home address on 23 Aug 19, Edwards having declined to have it presented. 

Possibly married in Summer 1924 to Florence A Turner.  In 1925 he was still living at the same address.  In 1939 was living at 7 Argyll Street, Coventry; he was one of four occupants although recorded as married and employed as a motor body maker. Must have served in WW2 as he has a British Defence Medal.

Possibly remarried in Jul – Sep 1963 at Coventry to Nellie Hollins   Died Apr to Jun 1969; registered in Coventry

Can you share where he lived at the end of his life and anything else you have gleaned?

That’s a fantastic write up, many thanks.

I will post anything other than you already have on him if I find it of course, I also have a old photo but of a football team which was with the lot and was told Wilfred is one of them but don’t know which one, it would be great if anybody  could get hold of the photo etc from the Coventry graphic newspaper mentioned earlier in this thread then maybe we could pick him out in my group photo, I will post this later when I am home

andy

Thank you so much for helping me in this way

Would you object to my sharing the pictures with members of the First Tank Crews research group on Facebook? 

Yes share away, my pleasure

Here is the group football photo as promised

2587A963-A7E3-421A-A97B-E42699516B82.jpeg

Great stuff I will also share it on the Coventry History Forum as they have helped my research in the past.

Have you any idea where the lot was found before it was auctioned?

Medals were found at 25 Schoolacre road, shard end , Birmingham where a direct descendent lived but recently passed away

3 hours ago, garfyboy said:

Medals were found at 25 Schoolacre road, shard end , Birmingham where a direct descendent lived but recently passed away

Thanks to yourself and Delta for sharing. Gresat collection and research.

Regards, Paul

Thank you for the information about the address in Birmingham. 

Good to hear that the medals are in safe hands

Help received from the Coventry Forum revealing following entry in the Coventry Telegraph of 28 Apr 1969

Mrs Edwards of 7 Argyll Street wishes to thanks relatives, friends , neighbour and special thanks to Mrs Lyneham and Mrs Woodfield on the White Lyon Hotel for the beautiful floral tributes and messages of sympathy at her loss. 

• 2 months later...

Edwards died of heart disease on 22 Apr 1969; his wife's name was Florence Annie Edwards who was present at his death - therefore the possible remarriage in 1963 is wholly rubbish 

Thanks Terry

No 5 Battery was, I believe, almost entirely recruited from Coventry men

Stephen

Yes it was. Geoffrey Smith, the editor of the Motor Cycle magazine in Hertford St had much to do with it. He had also acted as an agent for the War Office, interviewing men for recruitment as despatch riders.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

• 1 year later...

Another connection found - this time Gunner John MeKenzie. John was born in Carlisle in 1889 and was bought up on the Wirrall.  I could not find him in the 1911 census but his family were living at Birkenhead,  .

The Motor Cycle probably recorded his enlistment in early May 1916 - it lists his home as Liverpool but spells his name as MacKenzie.  John deployed to France and was a crewman in tank crew D16 Dracula which was in action on 15 Sep 1916 at Flers. He is also listed as a member of the D16 crew on 20 Sep so probably fought with the same tank at Euacourt l'Abbaye. Sadly John was killed in action on 5 Aug 1917 near Ypres whilst serving with No 10 Company of D Battalion.  His death is not mentioned in the D Battalion war diary or the Battalion history; indeed there were no tanks in action before 22 Aug.  It islikely that he was killed  by indirect artillery fire on the rear areas where the tanks were located.  He is buried at the Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery..

Two pieces of research tell us more;  The Liverpool Echo on 13 Aug 1917 records a new entry "McKENZIE - August 5, killed in action aged 28 years, Gunner John McKenzie (M.M.G. Corps), eldest son of Francis McKenzie, 3, Vernon-place, Conway-street, Birkenhead, the beloved brother of Mrs W Reid, and beloved fiance of Miss H Wood (Deeply mourned.)

I have also found him today in the 1911 census - it shows that John, aged 22, was boarding at 129 Aldbourne Road Coventry and working as a coach painter at a motor manufacturers. Coventry connection made 

John McKenzie.jpg

2 hours ago, delta said:

Another connection found - this time Gunner John MeKenzie. John was born in Carlisle in 1889 and was bought up on the Wirrall.  I could not find him in the 1911 census but his family were living at Birkenhead,  .

Well done Stephen.

Little by little Paul, little by little

This evening William ironside McGhie of A Battalion - joint editor of the Midland Daily Telegraph.  

Head and Shoulders.jpg

Edited by delta

Another great photo