Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harry Patch Funeral

Medic7922

Harry Patch. Like many others no doubt, I have just sat for two hours glued to the box watching the funeral of an ordinary man, a man I never knew, a man I never met and more than likely never been within 100 miles of. So can somebody PLEASE explain why I watched this ordinary mans funeral with a lump in my throat and tears pouring down my face. :poppy: Ralph.

Harry Patch. Like many others no doubt, I have just sat for two hours glued to the box watching the funeral of an ordinary man, a man I never knew, a man I never met and more than likely never been within 100 miles of. So can somebody PLEASE explain why I watched this ordinary mans funeral with a lump in my throat and tears pouring down my face. :poppy: Ralph.

I suspect you were one of many thousands. :poppy:

Inspirational in death as he was in life. He may not have wanted a large send off but I am sure he would have been proud of the inclusion of 4 nations and young and old alike. I think it was so moving because of its inherent simplicity rather than pomp and circumstance.

Yes, I thought a little like that, but my Mrs had a tear in her eye, too. She has seen him on numerous occasions and always commented on what a smashing chap he seemed to be, and today she was glued to the box and thought it terribly sad.

It is the end of an era for us with an interest, my Mrs included...............though her interest has been stimulated by my own over time.

This genteel, softly spoken, kindly old gentleman has made a mark on all of our lives, consequently will not be forgotten.

Tom

As for the BBC, they seem to have little respect for anything, nowadays...........Peter Barton, the historian had to quieten the reporter who was trying to get a statement from him, for the minutes silence. Badly planned/timed reporting. Yes, we could go on about the state of the Beeb, but that would be a digression too far.

Well said, Tom.

DickW

All

Reading again some of Harry's story in my various books.

Was it a shrewd decision of Richard Van Emden,or his publishers,to show Harry's photo on the front of "Britain's Last Tommies" at a time when there were only seven left, now that it has turned out he was the very last one ?

I have this vision of Harry's mates now seeing him again and asking him what took him so long.

Sotonmate

I've just got back from the service and it was quite moving - yes, I had a lump the size of a football in my throat for most of it!!

There's another thread running where I've popped a few photos from outside the cathedral as they weren't allowed inside......... other thread (in Chit Chat)

As for the BBC, they seem to have little respect for anything, nowadays...........Peter Barton, the historian had to quieten the reporter who was trying to get a statement from him, for the minutes silence. Badly planned/timed reporting. Yes, we could go on about the state of the Beeb, but that would be a digression too far.

Well said, Tom.

DickW

Go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/forms/ and complain! I did - about:

1) Taking the online News24 programme off just before the committal (telling me to press the red button when I can't get Freeview is no damned good) and then giving me the BBC1 One O'clock News in its place! We have old fashioned telly for that.

2) Then for the One O'clock News commentator to actually remark on the Last Post being played and then knowingly and crassly trying to interview Peter Barton during the silence.

Suggest others do the same.

David

1) Taking the online News24 programme off just before the committal (telling me to press the red button when I can't get Freeview is no damned good) and then giving me the BBC1 One O'clock News in its place! We have old fashioned telly for that.

2) Then for the One O'clock News commentator to actually remark on the Last Post being played and then knowingly and crassly trying to interview Peter Barton during the silence.

David

I'm on it.

I thought it was most disrespectful.

Dick

Thank you for the link-I have complained. I was trying to watch it on Sky in France. I managed to press the red button but even that transmission just seemed to tail off.

On the same day that 111 year old Harry Patch is buried, and who in his final years spoke out for peace and reconciliation and also of his lost comrades on the Western Front, 18 year old Private Joseph Murphy of 2 Rifles is also buried, killed in action in Afghanistan. It says something about change or lack of it I guess and also of the soldiers lot.

TR

ps. Please don't let this thread turn into a whinge about TV stations.

When the young chorister sang: "Where have all the soldiers gone? Gone to graveyards everyone" - that was me done for.

Perhaps because I grew up during the Folk era, and my interest in soldiers, it is a song that always brings tears to my eyes as well.

I think his death is so moving because he does represent the end of an era. Even those who young probably remember a Great War veteran. When I was born in 1951, they hadn't retired. I even worked with one in 1973.

ive been to the service today,, just had to be there, very moving. he'd be shocked everyone was there for him, an ordinary man!! very special to me, like al the other lads were, they are all togther now RIP

David

I've done it David! not only online, but also on the telephone, I am absolutely livid about the BBC's coverage. The microphones quite often picked up the feeds from outside the Cathedral rather than the microphone of the person talking inside in the service. And as I said earlier, to kill it before the sevice had finished, well I am still quivering with rage.

Wimbledon, no problem, BBC1, BBC2, and the two interactive chanells to choose which game you want to watch!!!!!!

OUR last Tommy, OUR Harry Patch, and they treated it as something incidental!!!

As far as I am concerned the sooner they disband the monolith that thinks its above the people that pays its wages the better.

Thank God I can come to the forum and see that I'm in amongst people that know whats important.

The Last Tommy............Harry Patch........we know, we appreciate, thank you Harry, you and ALL your mates from the Great War

Tom

I've done it David! not only online, but also on the telephone, I am absolutely livid about the BBC's coverage. The microphones quite often picked up the feeds from outside the Cathedral rather than the microphone of the person talking inside in the service. And as I said earlier, to kill it before the sevice had finished, well I am still quivering with rage.

Wimbledon, no problem, BBC1, BBC2, and the two interactive chanells to choose which game you want to watch!!!!!!

OUR last Tommy, OUR Harry Patch, and they treated it as something incidental!!!

As far as I am concerned the sooner they disband the monolith that thinks its above the people that pays its wages the better.

Thank God I can come to the forum and see that I'm in amongst people that know whats important.

The Last Tommy............Harry Patch........we know, we appreciate, thank you Harry, you and ALL your mates from the Great War

Tom

Nice one, Tom.

..................and I thought I let them have it both barrels.

Dick

Just watched funeral on skynews active full hour programme.Must admit tears were rolling down my cheeks. A very moving ceremony. You will be sadly missed Harry

Wayne

Watched some of the proceedings whilst donating a Tony Hancock of Platelets @ Addenbrookes BTS,whilst reading "The Soldiers War" bought on Cambridge Market earlier that morning.

RiP "The Last of the Many"

• 1 month later...

About three weeks ago, I was able to pay my respects at St Michaels Church in Monkton Combe, where Harry was buried, and I took a number of photographs which I thought those who could not see it themselves might like to see.

I was rather saddened to see the state of the grave - the stone had been removed, presumably to have Harry's name added to it, but the large poppy wreath and a number of other floral tributes were still in place although very dead. My Mother and I tidied it up a little, and I rescued a few poppies that had been put aside and tucked them back into the wreath with my own which I had added.

52683933.th.jpg

87609265.th.jpg

77324468.th.jpg

50792890.th.jpg

35266009.th.jpg

The poppy wreath, with the poppy I added in addition to the ones I rescued. With my GWF badge place on the card for the photo.

A number of Patches are buried in the cemetery - I believe this is the grave of one of Harry's older brothers, William:

87427810.th.jpg

30828540.th.jpg

Another grave, this time for what I believe is Harry's other older brother George and his wife:

99508778.th.jpg

47851917.th.jpg

70741110.th.jpg

The cemetery also contained a number of WW1 and WW2 CWGC graves and other military personel:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...asualty=2692169

Name: MUNDY, EDWARD GEORGE

Initials: E G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Army Service Corps

Unit Text: 250 (Airborne) Lt. Comp. Coy.

Date of Death: 10/11/1945

Service No: T/63560

Additional information: Son of Frank Reuben and Catherine Elizabeth Mundy, of Monkton Combe.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: S.W. part.

Cemetery: MONKTON COMBE (ST. MICHAEL) CHURCHYARD EXTENSION

50675603.th.jpg

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=394081

Name: HISCOCK, EDWIN SIDNEY

Initials: E S

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force

Unit Text: School of Technical Training (Halton)

Date of Death: 23/04/1919

Service No: 328881

Additional information: Son of Edwin George and Helen Hiscock, of The Rocks, Box Hill, Box, Wilts. Born at Combe Down.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 9. 5.

Cemetery: MONKTON COMBE (ST. MICHAEL) CHURCHYARD EXTENSION

33902772.th.jpg

12099114.th.jpg