Remembered Today:

BBC NI Newsline

swizz

Just saw this feature being advertised on the morning news. Apparently it will run all this week on Newsline 6.30, as a journalist traces the story behind what looked like a gravestone found in a river. From what I could see, the date on it was 1917 and the ad finished with a photo of a First World War soldier.

Viewers with Sky digital outside NI can watch this on (I think) channel 973 - at least that's where it comes up for me! Newsline, as the name suggests, is on at 6.30 each evening.

Swizz

Thanks Swizz, will look out for that.

Peter

That's funny - last time I was in PRONI, I didn't get a member of staff guiding me through the records or undertaking research on my behalf. :(

Mind you, I didn't have a camera crew with me. ;)

Really interesting story. Peter would you post the part two`s link in case anyone misses it.

Regards,

Phil

Really interesting story. Peter would you post the part two`s link in case anyone misses it.

Regards,

Phil

Hi Phil,

Part two is not up on the Newsline site yet. Have sent the BBC a mail to find out why ?

Will post it as soon as its up.

Peter

I think the BBC are posting up each link after the feature has been shown on Newsline. They were trailing it again on the lunchtime news today - tonight's will include an interview with one of Pollin's relatives.

Swizz

From the morning news: apparently tonight they will 'delve into the archives' to find out more about Pollin as a soldier...

Swizz

Cant wait for part three, what a remarkable story. He had to be a North Belfast man.

Thanks Irishmen1916 for the link, keep it going what a fanatic thread.

Regards,

Phil

there is an animation based on the war diaries of tht day that lasts just over 4 minutes on Peters link. Worth watching.

Glen