Remembered Today:

September 1918 What action?

tullox

I am trying to piece together information about my grandfather's service both before during and after the war. I have his service record but of course that lacks much detail. He was Charles Albert James Bone 11066 who spent the early part of the war in 1st Battalion Royal Fusiliers. On 04/08/1917 he was appointed "to Depot". Does that mean he returned to Hounslow or Dover?

ON 17/04/1918 he was appointed to a permanent commission as 2nd Lieutenant to the Royal Fusiliers, 1 City London Regiment and posted to the 5th Battalion on 20/04/1918.

On 17/09/1918 he "embarked Boulogne wounded" and disembarked the same day.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction as to where he might have been wounded and how long it took for someone to be transferred from the battle site? Is there ever any record of what the wounds were? Now being domiciled in Australia and doing some work with Australian records for my husband's family I realise how lucky Australians are... it would say in the paper work exactly the nature of the wounds and often when and even where they were received.

Many thanks

Sue

Sue

Can you access the "Edit" button as you show the date in the heading as 1917 yet you are obviously enquiring about a wound sustained in 1918.

It makes a great deal of difference as they could get around quite a bit in 12 months, so where he was in 1917 won't necessarily be where he was wounded in 1918....

Someone just seeing the heading might go to a deal of trouble researching 1917 incidents when you want 1918 actions!! Don't forget many soldiers were wounded without being in a major battle, every day the front was shelled or snpiers at work. The wounds could have been from an earlier time and not responded to treatment in France.

Correcting the date will ensure whatever help is given is as accurate as possible.

Good luck!!

Sue

There is one Officer file at Kew for BONE C in WO339/88167,this might ,or might not,be him. There might be more details there than you have on the record you have as Officer records are,as far as I know,not yet online. I will look this week and let you know.

Sotonmate

There is one Officer file at Kew for BONE C in WO339/88167,this might ,or might not,be him.

Sotonmate

I can save you some time ;) , this file is not for Charles Albert James Bone but is one for Charles John Bone (a 2nd Lieutenant in the MGC). It would appear from the Index to Officers' Long Number Papers that Charles Albert James Bone had some service post-1920 as his reference has a P/ prefix denoting this, this means that his record should still be with the MOD.

Regards

Steve

Steve

Thanks for the info. more time for other matters now !

Sotonmate

On 04/08/1917 he was appointed "to Depot". Does that mean he returned to Hounslow or Dover?

Sue

Depot was at Hounslow, 5th (Reserve) & 6th (Reserve) Battalions were at Dover although the 6th moved to Carrickfergus in Ireland towards the end of 1917.

Regards

Steve

Sue

Some London Gazette entries for your man.....

1. Awarded the Military Medal (LG#29780, 11th October 1916). Link to Gazette is Here

L/11066 L./C. C. A. J. Bone, R. Fus.

2. Commisioned as Second Lieutenant in Royal Fusiliers (LG#30656, 27th April 1918). Link to Gazette is Here

The undermentioned to be 2nd Lts. 28th Apr. 1918: —

R. Fus.—Serjt. Charles Albert James Bone.

3. Promoted to Lieutenant (LG#31822, 12th March 1920). Link to Gazette is Here

The undermentioned 2nd Lts. to be Lts. : —

C. A. J. Bone, M.M. 28th Oct. 1919.

4. Retires on Ret. pay (LG#32484, 11 October 1921). Link to Gazette is Here)

R. Fus.

Lt. C. A. J. Bone, M.M., retires on ret. pay. 12th Oct. 1921.

5. Ceases to belong to the Reserve of Officers (LG#34335, 27th October 1936). Link to Gazette is Here

The undermentioned having attained the age limit of liability to recall, cease to belong to the Res. of Off. : —

R. Fus.—Lt. C. A. J. Bone, M.M. 25th Oct. 1936.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Thanks for all your help especially Steve with the links to the Gazette. I had the MM entry but not the others. I have the MOD record from 1992 and unfortunately it states that the file had been "weeded" !!

He served with the 2nd Battalion in India until the end of 1921!

Sue

Did the file contain his original Attestation papers? Just for interest his number L/11066 indicates he was a 'Regular' soldier before the war and would have enlisted sometime between 12th October and 8th November 1904.

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve

I think I did something wrong when I replied to your previous note as I see that my answer has not been posted. So apologies if you have received this information twice. My copy of his record dates from 1992 when they were all typed out. Later in the record it states that "on his attestation he declared previous service in the Militia" but no records of this. So I do have what little there is on his attestation papers.

He did indeed enlist in 25/10/1904 on a Short Service Engagement (whatever that means) and joined at the Depot, Hounslow.

On 3/10/1906 he was posted to the 2nd Battalion and then spent about 6 years in India and on the NW Frontier . HE was transferred to the Reserve on 14/12/1912. (There are no records for this period).

On 05/08/1914 he was mobilized at Hounslow and posted to the 5th BAttalion and on 19/09/1914 he was posted to the 1st BAttalion.

He was awarded the MM on 10/10/1916 and on 11/01/1917 was admitted to Filed Ambulance. I gather he was not severly wounded then as he reoined the BAttalion on 22/01/1917.

I now have something of a query. HE was promoted during that year but once Sergeant 04/07/1917 he was posted to the Depot (04/08/1917 and was there until he was appointed to a temporary commission as 2nd Lieutenant Royal Fusiliers 1 City of London Regiment 17/04/1918 and then to a permanent commission and posted to 5th BAttalion 28/04/1918.

Why would a man be taken from the Front for 8 months ???

MAny thanks for any help

Sue

Sue

I'm no expert on such matters but I would assume that, despite there being a war on, his posting to the Depot in August 1917 had something to do with his terms and conditions of service, i.e. his period of engagement was nearly up.

His initial "Short Service" period was for 12 years (3 with the colours and 9 on Army Reserve) but there were a number of conditions whereby this service could be extended by upto a further 12 months (if you look at the Attestation Paper you've got it's on the front sheet in the small print, section 19 (a.) (b.) (c.) and (d.)). As his service period was 'up' in October 1916 this additional (upto) 12 month period was obviously invoked but he was returned to the UK after 10 months.

Regards

Steve

Thanks Steve for your thoughts. I don't actually have the attestation papers as such. When the transcript was made of the record -1992- the details given were just typed out so those numbers were not included. I think it makes more sense to me now.