Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Alfred Hudd

Dannemois

Can someone please help locate the medal card for Pte Alfred Hudd, 9324, Royal Irish Rifles, 1st Bn who died in a French hospital on 21 Feb 1915. Any information regarding this soldier would be most appreciated.

Regards

Roy

post-30902-1248644402.jpg

Found him under Alfred HODD

Ellie

Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-1919 - soldier details

Name: Alfred HUDD

Regiment, Corps etc.: Royal Irish Rifles

Battalion etc.: 1st Battalion.

4.8.14 Aden. 27.9.14 embarked for U.K. arriving Liverpool on 22 Oct. then to Hursley Park, Winchester joining 25th Bde. 8th Div. 6.11.14 landed at Havre. 3.2.18 to 107th Bde. 36th Div. 11.11.18 107th Bde. 36th Div. Belgium; Mouscron, N.E. of Tourcoing.

Last name: Hudd

First name(s): Alfred

Initials: A

Birthplace: Bristol

Enlisted: Cardiff

Residence:

Number: 9324

Date died: 21 February 1915

How died: Died

Theatre of war: France & Flanders

and from CWGC

Name: HUDD, ALFRED

Initials: A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Irish Rifles

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 21/02/1915

Service No: 9324

Additional information: Husband of Jennie Maud Hudd, of 10, Richmond Terrace, Llanbradach, Cardiff.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. D. 12.

Cemetery: WIMEREUX COMMUNAL CEMETERY

Many thanks to 'devonmaid' really appreciate your contribution and grateful for the information. Sorry 'eviltaxman' but Alfred Hudd's marriage certificate list his father as Mark Hudd so clearly the 1891 census return is not my man, but grateful for your time and effort.

Regards to both

Roy

• 13 years later...
On 26/07/2009 at 22:20, Dannemois said:

Can someone please help locate the medal card for Pte Alfred Hudd, 9324, Royal Irish Rifles, 1st Bn who died in a French hospital on 21 Feb 1915. Any information regarding this soldier would be most appreciated.

Regards

Roy

Hello there, I think this is my great grandad. My grandad never got to meet him. 

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. @Dannemois last visited the forum in March, so with any luck, my tag will alert them to your post.

Hello Michelle 

I am not related to Hudd but I was helping the family research. If you message me your email address or contact address I can give it to the family member who lives near me

• Admin

Thank you Dannemois. @ROBERT HUDD, you can send a message to Dannemois by clicking on their name. You will then see an envelope icon which you click on, which opens up a dialogue box. Type your message, then send. 

On 17/07/2023 at 11:29, ROBERT HUDD said:

Hello there, I think this is my great grandad. My grandad never got to meet him. 

Welcome to GWF

This pension index card appears to show your GF - interesting second and third forenames, quite typical of popular sentiments at the time - the sad aftermath of his death

His widow Jennie Maud HUDD made a claim for a war pension for herself and for pension allowances for her children under the prevailing Royal Warrant - Article 11 [widow] and Article 12 [child(ren)]. .  There are Pension Index Cards at the Western Front Association/Fold3 [unfortunately a rather less commonly visited source of info] - this is probably the most informative

image.png.4cdd51f883a32783d6bae4522db966d9.png

Image thanks to WFA/Fold3

Much is probably self-explanatory but a few interpretations for you:

This pension index card was in the soldier’s name and there was another briefer card in the widow’s name so they could be cross-referenced/accessed.  These came from/lead to a ledger page(s) via the claim case references of 94 and later 5/W/6379 [5 representing the Ministry of Pensions' Welsh region] and then to an awards file. Unfortunately, the ledger is lost [probably destroyed] and the awards file probably deliberately destroyed once its use was passed [as was the common case]

The date of birth, 1.2.1889, is the widow’s - required because her pension could be age-related/supplemented if she was >35 [which she obviously was not]. Such an age banding of pension is believed to address the less likely possibility of re-marriage with increasing age.

The standard pension paid to his widow was 20/6 pw from 6.9.15 [there usually was an approx. 6 month gap between death and paying of a pension - in the meantime standard Separation Allowances continued to be paid – so, unlike what many observers think when they first see such a card, there was not a complete absence of monies in the intervening period]. 

That was 10/- pw [for a widow <35] plus increments of 5/0, 3/6 and 2/0 pw respectively for the children. 

A widow's pension was potentially payable for life unless she remarried when a terminal one-off gratuity/bounty would be payable.

The child(ren)'s allowance(s) were paid to their mother, typically until they reached 16 when such payments ceased [occasionally up to 21 if they were in some form of further vocational training or sometimes if they had impairment/disability] - then the child(ren) would certainly be expected to go out to work to earn their keep. Or paid until the earlier death of a child.  

'Noted for Novel' is thought to mean special treatment/calculation.

S.A. means Separation Allowance - A portion of a soldier's pay which was matched by the government and sent to his dependants to make sure they were not left destitute while he was on active service.  SA were often more generous than pensions and children’s allowances because a wife had to maintain a home in the same level of comfort as before ready for her husband’s return whilst a widow did not have such a need and costs – after all, apparently, she could then cut back and down-size her home!  Typically, the no of SA on the card reflected the number of children - which we can see was the case here

The printer's marks at the bottom show the printing dates [3/15 and 9/15] and large numbers [batches of 20,000] of these index cards sadly required to be used to help manually administer pensions using ledgers and files [by a small army of pension clerks, most of them female - No computers in those days!].

There a few other pensions administration annotations but these are probably not now of much significance really.

I hope this has been of interest to you.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo