Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brothers called Fuery Killed in WW1

nedsir

I first saw this about six months ago whilst researching an ancestor, Malachy Furey, Royal Navy, Trafalgar or thereabouts. To clear up one mystery, Malachy k.i.a Laventie is Alick, that would be a family nickname. I did a bit of fossicking in the 1901 census and came up with the following.

1901 census.

Michael. 19.

Patrick. 16.

Martin. 15.

William 8.

Malachy. 4.

Thomas. 3.

Harry 1.

Four were in the Connaught Rangers (Malachy and three others), one in the Royal Irish Fusiliers, one in the Royal Irish Rifles and one, Malachy in the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.

Two cousins, Francis and Peter from Mountbellew were k.i.a in the Connaught Rangers (D Coy, 6th Battalion). One buried in Loos.

Silver War Badges. I knew Great Uncle Paddy had one, as did Grandfathers brother in law, James Berry.

Looking at the Furey's I see that William (of VC, DCM, MM, Legion of Honour & Cross of Russia "fame") had one too. William G enlisted on 31 Jan 1911 discharged 25 Apr 1919. Reason for discharge "unfit, wounded". Left foot amputated, tattoo of shamrock on left wrist. Height 5 ft 5in, 128 lbs. 37 inch chest. B Coy 1st Bn Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.

m. Elizabeth Gaynor, 1915 in Dublin. Address Crowdestown, Delvin, County Westmeath. Occupation on enlistment Metal moulder. Went AWOL from Rugby barracks. Son Malachy b 8 Jan 1918, died 3 days later.

Lance Corporal 3rd Bn. 1917 D Coy, 2nd Bn. Brown hair, blue eyes.I am interested in finding out more about the Furey's of Loughrea, it looked initially as if we had a Hibernian version of "Saving Private Ryan".

Malachy's cousins were the "Fuery" brothers of Mountbellew, k.i.a Loos and one on the Menin Gate along with a Great Uncle of mine.

• 4 weeks later...

My grandfather (the aforementioned) John Joseph Fury was a native of Loughrea (born 1893) and indeed my own Mum was born there. Thanks to this forum and one of my surviving aunts (John's daughter) i have almost put a reasonable looking picture together-well 'reasonable' in the sense that i now no more a whole lot more about him than before i started a few ago.

I'll be happy to post what I know on this forum in a couple of weeks.

John Mc

Hi,

3859 Private John Joseph Furey was from St Nicholas, Galway.

Next of kin: Mother Rose Furey,

Henry St W, Galway

Regards Mark

G'day

Two streets have been nominated as the homes of John Furey's mother and I have trawled the 1911 census house by house in the named streets looking for a Fury, but without luck-any ideas?

A Chara Sean, It looks like there are 2 John Joseph Fureys. Rahoon and Galway town. If your John was born in Loughrea in 1893 check census entries for "The Hill". Fureys also lived in Coshmona. Your Mum was b 1916 in Loughrea? A Furey? Give me a P.M and maybe I have some info for you, military stuff I can post here, no need to place genealogical items on the site. Is mise me meas, KGB.

G'day KGB-what a lovely greeting and sign off. My mum was a Fury born 1916 and in Loughrea. I have replied off line to you as suggested.

I will get back to the forum with a more complete story of John Joseph Fury-Connaught Rangers.

• 4 months later...
Guest jackward123

Sorry for coming into this late.

My grandfather was John Joseph Furey. The following is what I believe to be correct.

• Born in Loughre County Galway and I reckon around 1890 (ish)
  • Connaught Rangers-reg number 10261
  • To India with 1st Battalion 1911 (ish)
  • Duke of Wellingtons around Huddersfield, Yorkshire early 1920s
  • Died 1954

I'd be very grateful if anybody can add anything to the embarassingly sparse history of a WW1 veteran

John Mc

South Australia

Hi,

My name is John Ward I live in Loughrea, Co Galway. John Joseph Furey is my grandfathers uncle, if you require any more information you can contact me privately on my E-mail address jackward2010@gmail.com.

Yours Sincerely,

John Ward

Hi,

My name is John Ward I live in Loughrea, Co Galway. John Joseph Furey is my grandfathers uncle, if you require any more information you can contact me privately on my E-mail address jackward2010@gmail.com.

Yours Sincerely,

John Ward

More news on the Fureys, this is from Loughrea http://www.loughreaonline.com/blog/the-furey-family-and-the-great-war

• 4 years later...

I was researching the Newry Reporter 25 May 1915 today and I came across this article on Five brother killed in action.  Pte Wm Furey of the 3rd Bn Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

59adaa1b15f73_FureyWmInniskillingFusNewryReporter2551915001.jpg.0b6cb5c35332129d42e4f43a8cb04126.jpg

On 9/4/2017 at 20:33, ARMAGH said:

I was researching the Newry Reporter 25 May 1915 today and I came across this article on Five brother killed in action.  Pte Wm Furey of the 3rd Bn Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Furey Wm Inniskilling Fus Newry Reporter 25 5 1915 001.jpg

I visited Malachy's grave whilst I had the Sunday free before the Passchendaele 100 event. A three hour (10 miles?) walk to and from La Bassee. There were not 8 brothers, nor were 7 killed in action. POWs and w.i.a account for the rest of the family. William was trying to get home leave and over egged the pudding. My research is that (cousins incl) the Fureys had 100 men mostly in the Connaughts, quite an achievement. Enlistment due to chronic poverty in the west of Ireland. 

19 hours ago, ARMAGH said:

Thanks KGB It is worth checking the newspaper articles they do make mistakes as I have found out, in particular with kia,s

I blame my distant cousin William, he added a bit of BS (told hospital he had a VC) he lost a foot in the last days of the war alas.

On 9/6/2017 at 10:18, KGB said:

I visited Malachy's grave whilst I had the Sunday free before the Passchendaele 100 event. A three hour (10 miles?) walk to and from La Bassee. There were not 8 brothers, nor were 7 killed in action. POWs and w.i.a account for the rest of the family. William was trying to get home leave and over egged the pudding. My research is that (cousins incl) the Fureys had 100 men mostly in the Connaughts, quite an achievement. Enlistment due to chronic poverty in the west of Ireland. 

No doubt that the Fureys did their bit,William was a character but the war did things to men,I would have loved to have met him.

Regards,

M.

9 hours ago, Murrough said:

No doubt that the Fureys did their bit,William was a character but the war did things to men,I would have loved to have met him.

Regards,

M.

Dear M, You missed you chance, he died a few years ago but I am in touch with his grand daughter. There was some quote about him being "proud to have guarded Belgian neutrality" and one wonders how much the propaganda permeated the person. He had a hard life, his son died aged a few months in 1918. 

• 2 years later...

Hey all.

Just going to jump in here on some of this first of all the way the last name is being spilled is wrong it is Fuery not Furey happens a lot.

Yes he did lie about getting the VC and some other medals but he did leave with 3 medals and a bar.

The family did lose a fair few member in both wars.

I will provide you with more details but I am not at home.

• 3 months later...
On 29/11/2019 at 08:56, Aoife78 said:

Hello

I have been reading your thread from top to bottom and I don’t know if this is connected to me , so maybe you can help . 
I am the granddaughter of Ted Furey , the father of The Furey Brothers . 
Are the boys in your research related to our family ? If that’s the case, I’d be fascinated to know more . I knew we had some roots in Galway but this is on another level .

Regards Aoife Furey

From what I gather the Loughrea Fureys link to the Dublin ones.

On 14/11/2019 at 18:12, Emmaem said:

Hey all.

Just going to jump in here on some of this first of all the way the last name is being spilled is wrong it is Fuery not Furey happens a lot.

Yes he did lie about getting the VC and some other medals but he did leave with 3 medals and a bar.

The family did lose a fair few member in both wars.

I will provide you with more details but I am not at home.

Mountbellew Fuerys spelled that way, Loughrea the other (Furey) way.

On 10/01/2020 at 20:15, Girlx123 said:

Hi everyone I know this website is a bit outdated lol but my Dad happens to know everything about the Furey  brothers as they happen to be my Dad great great Grand-Uncle 

To make it more interesting Luke "Tyson" Fury connects to the family.

Hi my great grandfather was Martin furey one of the brothers that come home He married Margaret ward an had my grandmother Id love to kno of any stories anyone can tell me or where any of his brothers were buried 0

On 22/02/2020 at 07:55, Nora said:

Hi my great grandfather was Martin furey one of the brothers that come home He married Margaret ward an had my grandmother Id love to kno of any stories anyone can tell me or where any of his brothers were buried 0

Alex (Malachy) is buried near Laventie, it is a 3 hour walk from La Bassee. 

• 4 months later...

I know this thread is old,It gave me such an insight to the Furey's. My great grandfather was Patrick Furey,He also passed away In Huddersfield.Yorkshire must have been a pull to them.As far as my mother remembers Paddy never spoke of the war. All he ever told her be thankful you will never see the things I have seen.Patrick was also married in 1915 In Ballinasloe Galway. So just may have been home on a short leave. ( Or he was pretending to be William ) :-) Malachy was Alick. Travellers are a very complex bunch. They married into familes and tend to keep that tradition going with the family names, Not every generation married into each other but as far as i can make out with my tree is the Wards and the furey's tended to do this every few generations. Was such a wonderful read and finding out some more history. thank you all for the confused giggles with trying to work it all out.

All the best be safe Trish :-)

• 1 month later...
On 23/07/2020 at 00:14, Trishah said:

I know this thread is old,It gave me such an insight to the Furey's. My great grandfather was Patrick Furey,He also passed away In Huddersfield.Yorkshire must have been a pull to them.As far as my mother remembers Paddy never spoke of the war. All he ever told her be thankful you will never see the things I have seen.Patrick was also married in 1915 In Ballinasloe Galway. So just may have been home on a short leave. ( Or he was pretending to be William ) :-) Malachy was Alick. Travellers are a very complex bunch. They married into familes and tend to keep that tradition going with the family names, Not every generation married into each other but as far as i can make out with my tree is the Wards and the furey's tended to do this every few generations. Was such a wonderful read and finding out some more history. thank you all for the confused giggles with trying to work it all out.

All the best be safe Trish :-)

Fureys and Wards are indeed related in County Galway.

• spof changed the title to Brothers called Fuery Killed in WW1