Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The what does it say? Thread

Skipman

The " What does it say? " thread. Feel free to add questions and answers to those hard to read Bn diary entries.

# 1

2nd HLI Diary Sept 10th 1914

2ccwhg.jpg

???? ???? Artillery & advanced ???? little opposition to Monnes.

Can anyone help decipher the missing words

\~/ Mike

Mike - I think the missing words are ""extended against" and "with".

Extended against artillery & advanced with little opposition to MONNES.

Tom

Thank you Tom. That was quick.

Does it get easier the more you read these diaries. I suppose when you are more famliar with the ' lingo ' it gets easier.

Thanks again for the express service.

Cheers Mike

Extended ajacent (adjacent) artillery and advanced with little opposition to Monnes

Jon

edit; just seen above so forget my ramblings ;)

Nice work! How about this one?

It's from my grandad's Naval Service Record.

Approve as special case, service in ****** lightship (?) being connected sea service and of this being advanced to **** ordinary telegraphist with effect from 28/03/17. ********* Diligence *********.

10h108i.jpg

Thanks again guys. You're very good at this. It's so obvious now.

Cheers Mike

Edit ... and gals

Is it definitely reservists, could it be enlistments?

Is it definitely reservists, could it be enlistments?

Mike, I read 'elements' before I saw the other suggestion of 'reservists'.

Jim

Approve as special case, service in ****** lightship (?) being connected sea service and of this being advanced to **** ordinary telegraphist with effect from 28/03/17. ********* Diligence *********.

Approve, as special case, service in Fort Yardland???? lightship being connected sea service and of this being advanced to rating ordinary telegraphist with effect from 28/03/17. Xpcs (???) A....... I (ship name??) ?? ???? Diligence (ship name??) ???? Ledger.

Does it get easier the more you read these diaries. I suppose when you are more famliar with the ' lingo ' it gets easier.

Methinks tis the old script that be the answer. I couldn't tell you most words at a glance but, when seen in a paragraph, familiar words tell a story because of script comparisons. I have about a hundred handwritten diary pages and I had to get my mom to read some of the letters....she's used to her dad's handwriting. S looks like F, T looks like F...need I say more! I have to say that reading the Forum posts since I've joined has increased (from non-existant) my knowledge of the 'lingo'.

Keep up the good sleuthing all,

shawn

Extended ajacent (adjacent) artillery and advanced with little opposition to Monnes

edit; just seen above so forget my ramblings ;)

Actually, this is what I read as well.

shawn

Wouldn't this make a great sub-topic rather than just a thread....which is still a great idea, Mike!

" very hot. Long march

some ----- not fit ---- yet.

Cheers Mike

'__servants'? Were they in India or somewhere where servants were used?

shawn

Thanks Jim, and a valiant effort on the ' stinker '

Shawn. They were in France, on the Marne at the time. Probably not servants. The old script is difficult. I think, like yourself, the more I do it, the less I will need this thread. :D

\~/ Mike

Approve, as special case, service in Fort Yardland???? lightship being connected sea service and of this being advanced to rating ordinary telegraphist with effect from 28/03/17. Xpcs (???) A....... I (ship name??) ?? ???? Diligence (ship name??) ???? Ledger.

I was thinking that might be WW1 txt spk for expenses?

I think it's "his being advanced" rather than "this being advanced" and I think the two words before "Diligence" are "et vide" which is Latin for "and see" so the writer is saying, "see also Diligence ???? ledger".

Tom

Many thanks, detectives! It's certainly making a bit more sense.

In case it sheds any further light, this is from his service record, and he would seem to have been at HMS Vernon, a shore establishment in Portsmouth during this period.

Ganges 12/02/15 Boy II

Impregnable 10/04/15 Boy II, Boy I, Boy Tel

Vernon 09/07/15 Boy Tel, Ord Tel

Victory I ?? /10/17

Diligence (Tomahawk) 05/07/18

Diligence (Tryphon) 01/01/19

Shore Demob 18/02/19

(Diligence was the depot ship for the 12th destroyer flotilla).

So, I have...

Approve, as special case, service in (Fort Yardland??) &(?) lightship being connected sea service and of his being advanced to rating ordinary telegraphist with effect from 28/03/17. (XPCS or X/IC)?? (poss ship name?) I et vide Diligence (Month??)19 Ledger.

I'm looking through lists of lightships and shore establishents to try and crack the last few names.

Thanks again for the help.

It's Fort Yaverland in the Isle of Wight.

It's Fort Yaverland in the Isle of Wight.

Brilliant. Thank you!

Approve, as special case, service in Fort Yaverland + lightship being connected sea service and of his being advanced to rating ordinary telegraphist with effect from 28/03/17. (XPCS or X/IC)?? (poss ship name?) I et vide Diligence (Month??)19 Ledger.