Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

B Battery, 68th Brigade, RFA

Whysall

Apologies in advance for the ignorance of a neophyte in these quarters.

I have just received a packet of documents which originated with my Great Uncle, Nevil Pigot.

Apart from a splendid group photograph (24 chaps, see below), with the sub-title "Deepcut, 1915", there are studio portraits of 28 soldiers (presumably the Battery, many of which are signed), several group photographs, and postcards of Salonica and Egypt.

There are also two "Army Book 136" which contain pencil-written lists of personnel, stores and odd notings. The name at the front of one of these (the hand-writing seems to be consistent) is "Corporal Martindale R 3/38 F.A.B."

The box also contained toilet kit, medals and more. Apart from a DCM there is a Karageorgiou Star.

Quite what I do with this small treasure-trove (apart from passing them on to an even later generation) I don't know: were the images scanned and posted, would there be any interest? If so, to where do I post?

As for the 50in by 17in panorama of a full-blown review ((Egypt? end of hostilities?), words and ideas fail me.post-47570-1248531638.jpg

Welcome to the forum Pro-Pigot,

You have a treasure trove there that is indeed of interest to many. Worth a tidy sum if sold on EBay, especially the medals with provenance, but to my mind priceless where a family member is documented. I commend you for your willingness to share. If it were me I would research the battery from all available sources you can find, including the career of your ancestor Bdr 94874 Pigot (also a MID as well as DCM), on ancestry or at the NA etc and publish it all online; with the fantastic photographs you have it would make for an exceptional website that would aid many others connected to the battery researching their ancestors and give you a lot of pleasure in doing so. Being able to put names to so many of the faces is a real bonus and a rare find.

Rgds Paul

94874 Bombr. Nevil Pigot, B. By., 68th Bde, RFA receieved the DCM in the London Gazette of 21 June 1916 'for conspicuous gallantry when repeatedly repairing telephone wires under continuous shrapnel fire.'

94874 Bombardier Nevil Pigot, RFA received the Serbian Cross of Karageorge, 2nd Class with Swords in the London Gazette of 21 April 1917.

94874 Bomb. N. Pigot, RFA mentioned in despatches in the London Gazette of 13 July 1916 'for distinguished and gallant services rendered during the period of General Sir Charles Monro's Command of the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force.'

Regards, Dick Flory

This looks to be a group of signallers as they all(?)have crossed flags badges - if you could post other pictures I am sure many would like to see them.

I am sure the artillery museum would like to have copies at least if you decide to dispose of them. A group of such photos - at least - would be a valuable addition to the Brigade archives/records -

thanks for sharing that one. Are the individual photos likely to be the same faces - it would be interesting to put names to a complete signals section?

I would suggest that Cpl Martindale could well be Cpl Robert Martindale MM (5354) who arrived Egypt 1/7/1915 which would be about right for 68th Bde en route for Salonika

david

Incredible!

A couple of hours and I've got a whole library of information. You are indeed cyber-heroes. Thanks for your input. Don't worry: none of this will go near eBay.

These guys are indeed signallers. Cpl Martindale's notebooks tell me the serial number, and the responsibility for each telephone, and then for every other piece of equipment.

I'm trying to upload an image of Cpl Martindale himself (at the third attempt, I may have done it), photographed by the embossed "London Studio, Cairo", and signed on the front, in pencil "Sincerely Yours". On the reverse we find: R.Martindale, 1a Croppers Hill, St Helens, Lancs.

post-47570-1248557682.jpg

post-47570-1248558450.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Pro-Pigot,

I be interested to see the Egyptian pictures or a list of what locations they are in Egypt ?

The picture I use, was I believe taken in Egypt but not sure exactly where !.

Cheers

RGA

I'd love to work out how to (a) copy a rather-fragile panorama of this size and (B) adequately reproduce it in the 100K allowed here.

It looks to me as if we have the full strength on parade, facing the camera position. The senior officers are, of course, up front, with the main party slightly to the right of centre. This is the detail I am hoping to append: in its present form (80K) it is a loose approximation to the original. Behind them, but still near the foreground are some three dozen horse-drawn gun-carriages, with limbers. All the middle-distance in-fill is the mounted and horse-drawn artillery support. In the far, hazy distance are squares of infantry (onlya few mounted, presumably the officers again). I cannot see any mechanised troops, nor (to my disappointment and disillusion) a camel corps.

The location appears (from the circuit of railings in view) to be a race-course, with palm tree and several large mansions in the distance -- so Gezira comes to mind.

There is no inscription (except that "Anglo Swiss Studio Cairo 1918") or plaque.

I'm still working on the previous suggestion of scanning all the portraits and posting them to a web-page. When time permits ...

Hi Pro-Pigot,

I be interested to see the Egyptian pictures or a list of what locations they are in Egypt ?

The picture I use, was I believe taken in Egypt but not sure exactly where !.

Cheers

RGA

post-47570-1250850149.jpg

Thx for sharing the pic, you have probably solved a small identification for me as I have a pic taken from a distance showing a racecourse ,not race day though, but never got a name for it but it could well be Gezira taken in 1917.

I know the Imperial War Museum are always interested in pics and documents from ww1 stuff so think about contacting them about your treasure trove so it remains in safe hands.

I think the only way to share that pic in full glory is to use Personal Mail as there is no limit on for that

Cheers

RGA

• 1 month later...
Guest rjmartindale

Well my word indeed.

Cpl Robert Martindale (St Helens) was indeed my Grandfather, and I share his name, as did my Dad.

The address at the bottom of Croppers Hill is correct, and is the address where my Dad was born!

I was only young when Grandad Martindale died, probably 7 years old, but I have photographs of him at my sisters house in England. To be very honest it's difficult for me to recognize him here. But indeed he was in the Royal Signals. My Dad served in WWII and was in the Signals too. This is indeed very nice to see, and somehow I would veyr much like to get a full higher quality version of this image...

Many Thanks

Robert.

Incredible!

A couple of hours and I've got a whole library of information. You are indeed cyber-heroes. Thanks for your input. Don't worry: none of this will go near eBay.

These guys are indeed signallers. Cpl Martindale's notebooks tell me the serial number, and the responsibility for each telephone, and then for every other piece of equipment.

I'm trying to upload an image of Cpl Martindale himself (at the third attempt, I may have done it), photographed by the embossed "London Studio, Cairo", and signed on the front, in pencil "Sincerely Yours". On the reverse we find: R.Martindale, 1a Croppers Hill, St Helens, Lancs.

[attachment=108386:From_Clipboard.jpg

• 2 years later...
Guest rjmartindale
1248558742[/url]' post='1229896']

Incredible!

[attachment=108386:From_Clipboard.jpg

Hello Is there a way to get in touch regarding the photographs and items relating to my Grandfather - Robert Martindale, the address you mention is indeed correct, my Dad was born there, and I grew up in St Helen's. Please can you contact me, my email is rjmartindale (at) yahoo.com ... I'd much appreciate it...

Best regards,Robert Martindale

Hello Is there a way to get in touch regarding the photographs and items relating to my Grandfather - Robert Martindale,

Hello Robert and pro-Pigot, and welcome to the Forum!

Once you have both clocked up five postings, you will gain access to the Forum's PM (personal message) system. You can then exchange addresses or e-mail details which other members will not be able to see. So keep the comments coming.

It's probably too late for the standard health warning - WW1 research is highly addictive - but good luck anyway. As you have already found out, there are lots of us on here who will be glad to share knowledge and experience with you.

Ron

• 1 year later...

Hi Robert,

Are you still around ?

I would be really interested in any info you may have re the 68th Brigade in Egypt/Palestine and if there was anything from Robert Martindales notebooks you could share?

Regards,

Ste ( St.Helens)