Remembered Today:

SASD? RA Signals unit?

max7474

This is a photo of gunners with Signalling lamps and flags. But waht is the unit title? The chalk board says No 1 Sect, B Coy SASD.

All the badges are RA but this is not a usual RA unit. Any ideas?

post-4655-1248531264.jpg

I think that the South African Siege Depot suggestion may be spurious as the photo is of a family member from Somerset and they have no South African link at all.

These do appear to be very British gunners.

A possibility is that these are Royal Garrison Artillery men as they had Siege Coys rather than the RFA's Btys.

Could the SA be Siege Artillery? SD = Southern Division?

Judging by the amount of Semaphore Flags, signalling lamps and the crossed flags on the uniform cuff of one of the gunners then Signals is certainly more likely than supply.

Hello all

Siege Artillery Signal Detachment, I should think.

Signallers with RA were mainly RA personnel, although later in the war the RE Div Sig Companies had a section to work with the artillery.

I have only ever seen this as Siege Artillery Signalling Depot. Northern Command was at Catterick. One at Fort Wallington, Fareham. Another at Southampton. One day I will have to make a list.

Kevin

Another aspect of the sign confirms it as RGA, the reference is to B Coy. As only the RGA had Companies within the RA set up it further confirms the RGA conection.

Kevrow

Thaanks for answering my question about provenance before I even had time to post it! Yet another abbreviation for the second edition of the book.

Much appreciated.

Phil