Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Reserve Field Arty. Regt. 54

Trenchrat

Hi,

I recently acquired four photo postcards that were sent to a leutnant in this regiment. His name was Walter von Carlshausen. Could someone give me a brief history of this regiment? Also, if someone could translate the writing on these four cards, I'd appreciate it. I'd scan them and put them up on the board,but I always have trouble doing so. However, I'd scan and email them to whomever would be willing to translate them. Lousy thing is they don't show Leut. von Carlshausen. They show some kids which may or may not be his. Thanks for the help.

Regards,

John

Hi,

history of the FAR 54

Cnock

post-7723-1248508023.jpg

Hi,

I don't think there is

Cnock

Hi Cnock!

Maybe you showed us the wrong history. You wrote FAR54. John looked for the RESERVE FAR54.

They were formed end of 1914 and belonged to the Res.Div.54

In 1914 they stood in Belgium, fought at Ypres and remained in the Zonnebeke area

1915 they fought in Flanders. (Berclacre-Polygon-wood, between Ypres-Menin and the Roulers railroad.

In 1916 they were sent back for training in the Beverloo Camp.(Feb-march)

End of march they fought in the Artois, in august they were sent to the Somme, and in october to Lorraine. In november they left Lorraine to fight in Verdun.

In 1917 they withdrawned back to the Champagne. I n august they came back to Verdun to fight the well-known Hill 304. In october they were transfered back to Flanders, where they remained near Dixmunde until tzhe end of the year.

In 1918 they fought at Cambrai, Seranvillers,, Honnecourt, Gouzeaucourt, Lechelle,Mametz, Ovillers. Until the end of war they stood in the Mametz area.

The american general staff classified the division at 2nd class (from four)

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the brief history. They sound like they were a hard fighting unit, even if they were second class. Can you or someone on the board translate these four postcards that I have? For the most part it looks like each card was just signed by a number of Leut. von Carlshausen's friends. One is dated July 22, 1915, the second one is dated October 14, 1915, the third was sent the next day October 15, 1915, and the last was sent September 7, 1916.

Hi John!

Translating ain´t no problem, but I don´t know if I am able to read the old script. But I´ll try. Do you want to post them here?

Hi,

Thanks for this history, but I can't read German. Is there an English history of the unit?

I'm not 100% certain, but I believe no German regimental histories from the war have been translated. I've toyed with the idea of translating the history of RIR93 and have attempted a dozen or so pages, but I'm fairly certain that it would be received with very little or no interest.

Here's the entry for the regimental history:

Link zu diesem Datensatz http://d-nb.info/579478505

Titel Das Württembergische Reserve-Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr 54 im Weltkrieg 1914-1918 / Klotz. Mit 30 [eingedr.] Kt. Skizzen, sowie mit [eingedr.] Zeichn. von Oßwald Poetzelberger ; U. Schott ; R. Sapper u. 90 Abb. nebst 1 [farb.] Übersichtskt.

Personen Klotz, Eugen

Verleger Stuttgart : Ch. Belser

Erscheinungsjahr 1929

Umfang/Format VII, 198, 32 S. ; 4

Gesamttitel Die württembergischen Regimenter im Weltkrieg 1914-1918 ; Bd. 46

Einband/Preis Hlw. : 10.

Hi,

what I showed was WÜrttembergische Reserve Feldartillerie Regiment nr. 54

Prussian, I understand You got Your info from the histories of '251 divisions of the german Army'

The 'gefechtkalender ' of RFA 54 is far more detailed, but I can not scan it

p.s. In the 'Stellenbesetzung' I didn't find the name of Lt. von Carlshausen.

Regards,

Cnock

Hi All,

Andy, I've had difficulties posting photos on this website. For some reason, when I do post here, I have to make the photo too small to really read. If you have an email address, I could email them to you. So the 54th was from Wurtemmberg, that's interesting. All four cards were sent from Stuttgart by the way.

Cnock, what is the Stellenbesetzung? That's weird that you couldn't find his name. Does that book list all the men who served?

Hi Cnock!

Ah, ok, I just read your FAR54 on top. I didn´t read the last sentence at the bottom of the scan...

You´re right with the history of the 251 divisions. It should be a small overview of the battles. If John needs more detailed infos, I can post every single battle, but it´s a lot of work. I might look in every subordination of that unit.(general they belonged to the Res.Div., but the regiment or single batteries fought temporary for 1 or 2 weeks in other divisions). After that I have to look in the book the "Schlachten und Gefechte des großen Krieges", where every single battle of every single division is listed. I´d need a little time to do that.

Hi,

the books lists all officers and senior NCO's of RFAR54 in august 1914 and on 1/6/1917

Cnock

Hmm that is strange as that is his name and regiment. His rank is listed clearly on the postcards as Leutnant and they date from 1915-1916. I can only guess that whoever wrote that book, didn't get all the officers names for some unknown reason.

..or he was no more in the rgt in june 1917

Cnock

John, I´ve send you a pm with my email adress

That could be. The book covered only the two periods in August 1914 and June of 1917, correct? So he could have joined the regiment sometime in late 1914 or 1915 and been killed or left the regiment for some unknown reason, prior to June 1, 1917.

I believe his full name would be Walter Buderus von Carlshausen. There is a Lt. Buderus von Carlshausen in the May 1913 Rangliste with Dragoner-Regiment Nr. 26 based in Stuttgart, a Oblt. Buderus von Carlshausen from Oppeln with Felda.-Regt. Nr. 22, and a Maj. z. D. with Landwehrbezirk Siegburg.

There is a Buderus von Carlshausen, Walter listed in the book

Korpsgeist und Staatsbewusstsein

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the clue about his identity. We'll probably never know for sure, but the officer you found looks like he could be the right man. Do you think all three officers are one in the same man? Too bad it doesn't say when he served with Field Artillery Regiment No. 22, I assume that's what you meant by Felda. - Regt. No. 22. What does Major z. D. mean?

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the clue about his identity. We'll probably never know for sure, but the officer you found looks like he could be the right man. Do you think all three officers are one in the same man? Too bad it doesn't say when he served with Field Artillery Regiment No. 22, I assume that's what you meant by Felda. - Regt. No. 22. What does Major z. D. mean?

The three can't be the same man, otherwise there would be some sort of notation. I should clarify that he is listed as a Reserve officer, as he is (with the same regiment) in my 1909 and 1905 Rangliste but as a Lt. and residing in Potsdam. So now I'm not so sure.

As for z.D.

Zur Disposition (z. D.) On half pay (of officers). Vocabulary of German Military Terms...

I see. He might have gone from the dragoon regiment to RFAR 54 after August 1914, hence his name not being in that regiments list. Then transferred to the 22nd FAR prior to June 1, 1917. The Major z. D., could just be a relative or person with same name. Since the cards are sent from Stuttgart, he could be the one in the dragoon regiment that you mentioned.

Perhaps the Stellungbesitzung could be searched again, as the Buderus part of the name might have cause it to be overlooked. As for why you think he went from RFeAR54 to FAR22 before June 1, 1917, I'm a little confused. I haven't provided any information to suggest that this could be the case. In fact the name does not appear in the Stellungbesitzung for FAR22.

Hi Ken,

I don't know why you're confused. According to Cnock, There was no von Carlshausen in the RFAR 54, in either August 1914 or in June of 1917. You said there was a von Carlshausen in FAR 22. So I just figured that he transferred from the dragoon regiment into RFAR 54 after August 1914, and into FAR 22, prior to June 1, 1917. That would account for his not being listed in the 54th Regiment and appearing as an Oberleutnant in the 22nd.

The Buderus von Carlshausen with FAR22 was with the unit according to what I have from 1905 to 1914, and there's nothing to indicate that he did join RFAR54.

If you think that the Buderus von Carlshausen with DR26 was the one who went to RFAR54, why do you think he then would have gone to FAR22?

Incidently, there is an interesting discussion about the Buderus von Calshausen name on the Buderus forum at ancestry.com

Buderus Forum

Hi Ken,

Oh you didn't say that the FAR 22 fellow was with that regiment from 1905-1914. That changes my thinking of course. Still it is a possibility that he went from DR26, which I believe you said was from Stuttgart, into the RFAR 54, as the cards sent to him, were sent from Stuttgart.

What does Major z. D. mean?

From the upcoming book.

The abbreviation z.D. after a name: Oberleutnant z.D Müller for example, stands for zur Disposition. An officer in this status was in effect a retired officer who had agreed to be available for further service or assignment as required. It was normal for an officer z.D. to be employed in peacetime in uniform in such positions as Recruiting District Commanders (Bezirkskommandeure) or Recruiting District Officers (Bezirksoffiziere). They were also given front line assignments on mobilization.