Remembered Today:

regiment in india

graham01

came across this photo while visiting a cosin of my late father.on it is my great grandads brother who i have been told lost a leg while serving in india during wwi.to my untrained eye they look like signalers with un furled flags and lamps in the foreground.any help would be most welcome...graham..

post-43117-1248470856.jpg

Graham,

Are there any identifiable details visible (collar badges?) if you enlarge the image?

It certainly looks pre-war. I think the signallers were part of the Royal Engineers until to the end of the war. Someone else may be able to confirm.

Are some of those men holding pool cues? I notice the obligatory kitten as well.

Scott.

thanks chaps,try to enlarge picture but it is too grainy.wil be seeing the origenal next saturday,will take my magnifyer with me.i like the comment about the "pool cues"on the origenal you can just about make out that they are flags....graham...

found out more info on the photo .my great grandads brother in law was josepth goodall and he served in the royal engineers and was in india pre-war moving on to the dardennelles and and then on to france and have today found out he lost his leg in the somme.according to his son he was a colour sgt and was in a forward position when a british shell landed in the shell hole he was in.he ended up in a former mental hospital on the south coast of england where he stayed for several months before he was transferred to a hospital back home in liverpool.hoping to see copies of his army service records in the near future.his son now lives somewhere down south.the information has been passed to me via his cousin who is my late fathers cousin.she phoned me this morning to rectify previous information she had given me...graham...

Graham

As there don't seem... so far as I can see on your photo ... to be any officers on the photo, the front ranks, seated are likely to be the Sgts. with a Colour Sgt in the centre. One seated towards the right of the front row (in front of the regimental cat!) has his leg in plaster/bandage.... could this be your Great Uncle?

Colin

colin am waiting for a photo to comper with the one of india,have a visit planned to see a relative of mine on saturday who has lots more photos of the goodall branch of the family.she has some pre -war and war time photos of various members of the family in uniform...graham..