Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte. A.W. Virden attached to 10th Queen's Royal West Surrey Regt.

virden

Have just been to The National Archives, Kew, to view the WO363 'burnt documents' to try and find my great uncle's service records, and drawn a blank, which probably means they were destroyed.

Has anyone got any ideas where we should try and find any medical records for him?

He was actually in the 8th Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers, but attached to 10th Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment for the Flers battle on 15th September 1916, we have the War Diaries that list him as wounded on the 15-17th September 1916, then at some point he died, and there is no known grave just his name on the Arras Memorial. We are trying to find out what actually happened to him.

Also have his British War and Victory Medal Rolls entry, which is spelt incorrectly as 'Verden'.

Would the Royal Fusiliers museum be of any help, or the Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment at Hackney? Any ideas please?

Thanks

virden

I will give this some thought. My first comment is that not a lot of casualty detail survived,there are only some sample Clearing Station records at Kew,though here and there on this Forum people talk of casualty lists. You might be lucky if one of those people see your thread and can help. You would probably have to trace which Field Ambulances/ Casualty Clearing Stns were in attendance for the Division containing the 10 QRWS and what the casualty route stream was.

I have been trying to trace the activities of the recipient of two medals that I rescued from a junk stall in a market some time ago. He was Private 3577 W.S.STEER of the QRWS but I have yet to pin a Battalion on him. He too was wounded (somewhere,somewhen,and I fancy it was after the start of the 1916 Somme) and was discharged with a Silver War Badge. The 10th Battalion is one that I have yet to check. If you have any details on the casualties can you see if my man is on the list,please ?

Sotonmate

virden

The 10 QRWS were part of 124 Brigade of 41 Division,which at the time of Flers was in XV Corps of the Fourth Army. 41 Division had allocated to it three Field Ambulances,138,139 and 140. Their War Diaries are WO95/2628 (138);WO95/2629 (139) and WO95/2630 (140).

Fourth Army Casualty Clearing Station records at Kew cover fourteen units ! They are all contained in four War Diary packs there:

WO95/498 = CCS 5 and 12.

WO95/499 = CCS 20,24,37 and 39.

WO95/500 = CCS 41,47,48 and 50,and,

WO95/501 = CCS 53,55,58 and 61.

A task of some enormity,bearing in mind that casualty streams didn't always go to those units which might be expected to deal with them.

Sotonmate

sotonmate

Thank you for all your information, I will definitely start looking there.

Sorry have not got Private 3577 W.S.Steer on the casualty list I have, which is part of the war diaries for the 10 QRWS for the days 15-17th September 1916 (RefWO/95/2643, I will make a note of his details, and if I come across him I will certainly let you know

virden

I will give this some thought. My first comment is that not a lot of casualty detail survived,there are only some sample Clearing Station records at Kew,though here and there on this Forum people talk of casualty lists. You might be lucky if one of those people see your thread and can help. You would probably have to trace which Field Ambulances/ Casualty Clearing Stns were in attendance for the Division containing the 10 QRWS and what the casualty route stream was.

I have been trying to trace the activities of the recipient of two medals that I rescued from a junk stall in a market some time ago. He was Private 3577 W.S.STEER of the QRWS but I have yet to pin a Battalion on him. He too was wounded (somewhere,somewhen,and I fancy it was after the start of the 1916 Somme) and was discharged with a Silver War Badge. The 10th Battalion is one that I have yet to check. If you have any details on the casualties can you see if my man is on the list,please ?

Sotonmate

• 4 weeks later...