Remembered Today:

Charles Roscoe

abbrover

I have looked at the previous posts on this forum regarding the cyclist corps and have a general idea about their duties. Charles Roscoe was in A coy, 17th cyclist Bn but as I am easily confused when it comes to working out all of these various regiments and battallions, I can't work out if this was more of an infantry section or a cycle corps, can anyone help? Any idea where Charles Roscoe may have been when he died on 21 May 1918 or any other information on him?

Judith. Have a look at the CWGC site at Aubigny Comm Cem Ext where Charles is buried and you will see that the 57th Cas Clearing Station were based in Aubigny (from 20-3-1918 - 11- 8-1918), Soldiers Died has Charles dying of wounds. It would appear logical that he was wounded in the vicinity of Aubigny (Arras possibly)? to be taken to this CCS and thereafter succumbing to his injuries. Regards Ralph.

If not already got it :- born Bromborough Cheshire, enlisted Port Sunlight, resided New Ferry Cheshire. Ralph.

Thank you. From reading info on here I am guessing he was in a normal fighting infantry, am I right? If so I am a little confused as his obituary says he first joined the colours in September 1914 with the Sunlight Battalion (Port Sunlight) but then transferred to the Cyclists. If it was a similar infantry unit wouldn't he have stayed with his pals in the Sunlight? I know they didn't have much choice in the matter but I'm wondering if he swopped to be a messenger of some sort. His obituary also says he had 'some exciting experiences which he related when home on leave'

• 1 month later...

post-47211-1253605668.jpg

Hopefully I have now attached a photo of Charles Roscoe with No 6 platoon 25th Divisional Army Cyclist Corps at Aldershot 1915. I have received this from a family member through Genes Reunited. On CWGC it says Charles was in A coy 17th Corps and on another photo I have been sent he is in No 5 platoon at Codford. Are these three different units or all part of the same one? Sorry to be thick but I have difficulty getting my head round these units. I am going to NA next week and I want to be sure of researching the right units. I want to send this lady as much information on his service as I can as she has been so helpful. I have made this photo a lot smaller to fit but if anyone wants a better copy please pm me. It has all the names including Tinker the dog. There are also a couple of others at Codford

Judith

It would seem that Roscoe originally enlisted in the 13th Battalion Chesire Regiment, which was in 25th Division. Each infantry division formed a cyclist company. These companies formed the Army Cyclist Corps, which was established in November 1914. Roscoe was clearly transferred to 25 Div's cyclist company. In summer 1916 the divisional cyclist companies were formed into cyclist battalions (three companies to a battalion) and 25 Div Cyclist Coy became part of the 17th Cyclist Battalion, which was part of XVII Corps.

I hope that this makes things a little clearer.

Charles M

Thanks Charles

I assume I am right in saying the only moves he made appear to be between platoons 5 and 6. I have found reference wo 95/947 for the 17th corps cyclists at the National archives and wo 329/1731 for medal rolls, I assume these are the right ones to maybe find out more about his service.

Your assumptions on the units Roscoe served with seem correct. I note from his Medal Index Card that he handed in France on 26/9/15, at the same time as the rest of 25 Div. You should also look at WO 95/2233, the war diary of 25 Div Cyclist Coy Sep 15 - Apr 16.

Good hunting!

Charles M

Thanks Charles, I think I need two weeks to look at everything and I only have two days! I'm taking my camera so it could be a case of taking photos and reading it all when I get home