Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Patrick W. Steuart - a very interesting m.r.c.

alf mcm

post-33018-1248438081.jpg

The attached medal record card for 2/Lt. Patrick W. Steuart raises a few questions. I would appreciate any help with the answers.

The note on the record card is as follows:-

'Is deprived of the rank of Lieutenant having been convicted by the Civil Power at Court on 17.11.22 of larceny and sentenced to 6 weeks imprisonment. Notification to appear on L.G. of 9.2.23'.

1. What is meant by 'Suspense List'?

2. He was deprived of the rank of Lieutenant, so was presumably still a serving officer. Would he have been returned to his previous rank of Sergeant Major?

3. Would his rank have been restored after he had served his sentence? {The London Gazette of 9.2.23 says that he was 'deprived of his rank', not that he was cashiered or had to resign}.

4. His medals appear to have been issued in Australia, and had to be forfeited. Could he claim for his medals again after his sentence?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Alf McM

Have you seen his Australian records?

(Steuart Patrick W. 461)

From the records:

16th November 1915

Sarjeant Major P. W. Steuart 1st Australian Field Artillary Brigade has been appointed to a Second-Lieutenancy (on probation) in the Royal Field Artillary Special Reserve and he has been attached to the 4.B. Reserve Brigade RFA, Royal Field Artillary at Swanage.

Regards

CGM

CGM,

Thanks for your reply.

I hadn't thought to look at Australian records, I had just assumed that he was a British Army officer. His name appears on the Livingstone Parish Roll of Honour, in West Lothian, Scotland. It certainly explains why his medals were issued from Australia.

Regards,

Alf McM

The note on the record card is as follows:-

'Is deprived of the rank of Lieutenant having been convicted by the Civil Power at Court on 17.11.22 of larceny and sentenced to 6 weeks imprisonment. Notification to appear on L.G. of 9.2.23'.

Alf

Are you sure it says "Civil power at Court" looks like "at Cairo" to me.

Regards

Steve

Thanks for your replies,

Steve/Archangel9,

I am inclined to agree with 'Cairo' now that I have read it again. 6 weeks in an Egyptian jail would not have been pleasant! I wonder what the R.F.A. was doing in Egypt, or perhaps he was on leave.

CGM,

Thanks for the link. I have still to study his whole record {all 43 pages}, but I noticed he went from Gunner to Sergeant in less than 2 weeks! Very impressive, and obviously due to his previous military service.

Regards,

Alf McM