Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another addition to the collection

Guest tafski

Well Mr Lewis will be pleased to play the drums again. Not your average car boot find tafski, where'd it come from?

Jon

Would make a lovely pie dish.

Well Mr Lewis will be pleased to play the drums again. Not your average car boot find tafski, where'd it come from?

Jon

Jon

it was found Vimy ridge area, a full mag and all rounds dated 1915

Tafski :poppy:

Well, good luck to you Tafski, would like to see the finished object. I reccon you have many hours of fun ahead of you.

Andy

Nice find Tafski, You do find some treasures mate :)

James

some times i have good fortune but it helps to have some very good and kind friends as well

tafski :poppy:

There were a few at Beltring today, all complete and would be much easier to restore. Most were attached to a Lewis gun, retailing at around £3600 apiece but thats neither here nor there for a rare item.

Andy

Most were attached to a Lewis gun, retailing at around £3600 apiece but thats neither here nor there for a rare item.

Andy

Do you still require an FFl to own a complete 'battlefield find weapon', which realistically is only a lump of rusted metal. Or are they now classed as Deacts? I can't see the latter being the case actually.. more a case of a prison job if its not properly declared!! :blink:

Seph

Tafski,

I would be interested in what you do or want to do to 'restore'? I am genuinely curious as this looks 'beyond economical repair'

Is the idea to halt any further deterioation or re-assemble etc?

I have one vickers mg piece that I am told should be soaked in oxalic acid to remove rust? Is this the best rust removal method?

VMT

Mark

Sweet!

Tafski,

I would be interested in what you do or want to do to 'restore'? I am genuinely curious as this looks 'beyond economical repair'

Is the idea to halt any further deterioation or re-assemble etc?

I have one vickers mg piece that I am told should be soaked in oxalic acid to remove rust? Is this the best rust removal method?

VMT

Mark

Hi Mark

My aim is to stop the rot, and hope fully put it back together!! its not a repair job or to get it to mint condition now that would be inpossible ,its a relic and all i am trying to do is preserve what i have , i use a product called Krust to preserve the metal

tafski :poppy:

You are going to busy, that is nice, you have been after one of those for a while.

Krust is a rust inhibitor, its a coating that transforms the rust into a more stable compound so it can be painted over or just left as it, I've used it quite a lot and found it to be a very good. Its a marmite type of product really... some love it some hate it.

Gaz

cheers gaz Krust works for me , the work is comming along will post pics as i complete the various stages

regards

Tafski :poppy:

And by the looks bruce you will need some time to restore that one but I have confidence in you.

Dan

Seen a few covers for sale not sure if they're repro or not, bit of a price though

Jon