Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Neath War Memorial

jay dubaya

Hi folks,

does anyone have the names from Neath War Memorial, South Wales? I'm looking for the names Bevan/Bevans and Lewis. Any help will be much appreciated,

cheers, Jon

John

has a look for neath war memorial there ia few see listed below happy hunting

Blaengwynfi – Jersey Road

Briton Ferry – Neath Road

Bryn – Bryngurnos Street

Cadoxton – Cadoxton Road

Cilfrew – Main Road

Clyne – Neath Road

Crymlyn Burrows – Elba Crescent

Cwmllynfell – Welfare Hall

Dyffryn – St. Matthew’s Church

Gnoll Estate, Neath

Gnoll Memorial Gardens – Burma Star Memorial

Gnoll Memorial Gardens – Memorial Gates

Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen – New Road

Longford Memorial Gates – Heol Penlan

Lower Brynamman – Amman Road

Pontardawe – Herbert Road

Talbot Memorial Park – Port Talbot

Victoria Gardens – Spanish Civil War Memorial

Vivian Park – Port Talbot

Ystalyfera – Commercial Street

Ystalyfera – Glyngwyn Park

that helps :blink: Eva Street and Union Road are two address' that I have, Gnoll Gardens have been entioned to me before but alas I don't know the area so don't really know which one to try for...any more pointers tafski?

cheers, Jon

• 3 weeks later...

The desecration of the war memorials has little or nothing to do with vandals its theft and involves a section of the community that likes to steal metal items, Im sure you have all seen them wandering round the streets in their white open backed vans. Ba****rds

Jon - what do you need? Snaps of all the Bevan(s) and Lewis's or just confirmation that a particular name is (or isn't) on there? There are a lot of plaques and they are in regiment order. Do you have a regiment in mind?

Bernard

I can get to the main town memorial in the next week or so. Sadly here is a story from today's press:

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/southwal...il/article.html

Bernard

As a native of Neath familiar with each of the memorials which have been desecrated, all I can say is that there are some pretty gutless scum driving around the old town with their hard won bits of bronze in the back of their van. I hope they're caught and put on public display.

I also hope the names on the stolen plaques are recorded somewhere and they're all replaced.

Neath and Briton Ferry have some very nice memorials to the fallen, especially the Gnoll gates. This is just so sad.

Appologies for not coming back to my thread earlier.

Bernard, thanks for the offer but it's now sorted I've got the confirmation that I needed.

Another sad story of thieving gutless w@n£ers after a few quid who should have their hands removed and as for the man (I'd like to think he has a conscience) who melts them down knowing full well what they are destroying should hang his head in shame for eternity and be sent on battlefield clearance Afghanistan style.

Jon

Okey dokey, Jon.

I drive past the Briton Ferry memorial every working day. Its in a built up area (though set back from the road) and there is a house adjoining though the memorial wouldn't be visible to anyone in there. There's a police station (possibly not 24 hour) within 50 yards I think!

What lowlife!

Bernard

• 4 years later...

Hi

regarding soldiers from the Neath area, is this lad recorded on any in the Neath area,and has any one got an newspaper obit or report of death for this soldier

cheers PHIL

Private, Rosser David Rosser, 14807, 7TH KSLI Killed-in-Action BATTLE OF BAZENTINE RIDGE 14th July 1916, born Neath, Glamorgan, enlisted Neath,

As the recipient of several favours from Forum Pals recently I'll be happy to check and snap the main memorial if he's on there. Might take a week. If the Neath expert doesn't spot this in a few days I'll tell him.

Bernard

Hi

regarding soldiers from the Neath area, is this lad recorded on any in the Neath area,and has any one got an newspaper obit or report of death for this soldier

cheers PHIL

Private, Rosser David Rosser, 14807, 7TH KSLI Killed-in-Action BATTLE OF BAZENTINE RIDGE 14th July 1916, born Neath, Glamorgan, enlisted Neath,

Hi Phil - Bernard gave me a nudge. Apologies for not seeing it earlier. I'm currently researching all the casualties on the Neath and Briton Ferry Memorials in an effort to produce a memorial volume for the town. I've got quite a bit on R D Rosser. He was a successful engineer and Secretary of the Neath Crusaders Rugby Club. Also a member of the Neath Constitutional club. Why don't you drop me a pm and I'll get back to you...

Best wishes

Jon

Phil - he is on the memorial and I've got a handful of snaps of the inscription/memorial etc. If you PM me your personal e-mail address I'll send them over.

Bernard