Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regimental Number

adrianmartin59

My Great Grandfather served with the 11th Btn Royal Fusiliers but unfortunately he died 23 March 1918 at Jussy.

I am trying to find out from his Regimental number when he enlisted, his records are not available at Kew, so I assume destroyed in 1941.

His medal card shows the Victory and British Medals only and does not have anything entered in the "Theatre of war first served in", I understand that this means he went to France 1916 or later.

But, he also received the 1914-1915 Star, so to receive this he must have been in France before 31 December 1915? This is certain because the medals are still in the family.

His Regimental number was GS/12225.

Any information would be appreciated.

See if you can find another medal card for the Star.

This is his card for the 1915/15 Star, incorrectly identified as G H Martin....

post-1432-1248346566.jpg

This is his card for the 1915/15 Star, incorrectly identified as G H Martin....

That was quick! Thanks.

I tried to locate a second card but must have missed that one.

I have the Gazette posts for the MM and Bar, Thanks.

Looking at the Date of entry into theatre of war, that's exactly right for the Battalion.

I don't know what to say. But thanks very much. That has been troubling me for some time.

I am trying to find out from his Regimental number when he enlisted

I'd suggest his number points at a mid to end of January 1915 enlistment.

12162 was issued 18th January 1915 and 12282 was issued 25th January 1915 so enlistment was around that period.

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve

Excellent. I will add this new information to my files.

I can't beleive how useful this forum is. I've been struggling over this for ages.

Just a quick question. The numbers you are usung for reference, are they Royal Fusilier issues or other Battalions?

Also, where do you find this information?

Best regards

Adrian Martin

Adrian

The numbers are specifically Royal Fusiliers numbers, they are from the RF/GS (Royal Fusiliers/General Service) range of numbers, the same series as your Great Grandfather's and I got the details from a couple of service records available on Ancestry.

In this instance both men were initially posted to the 6th (Reserve) Battalion RF in Dover and would then have been posted to the battalion they would have served overseas with if they hadn't both deserted <_< .

Although there are some number patterns/blocks allocated to various battalions of the Royal Fusiliers the GS/ numbering series is not a particularly accurate means for identifying specific battalions although for dating enlistments it is.

Regards

Steve