Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Over There" with the Australians.

206thCEF

<<.... To introduce you to the spirit, action, and ideals of the Australian army I have to intrude my own personality, and if in the following pages "what I did" comes out rather strongly, please remember I am but "one of the boys," and have done not nearly as good work as ten thousand more.>>

To access the text,click on HTML 460 KB and then "main site".

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/17206

Joe

Knyvett didn't serve at Gallipoli.

G'day Peter, I'm a little lost here. Do you mean that his whole story is false or that the part about Gallipoli is ???? My intent, when I posted this text was to have one more point of view about a soldier's life in war (for all to read). I'm must say that only half up to speed on the Canadian part in WW1, I'm trying to understand the finer intricacies of the British part but, I'm completely lost about the Australians. So, I'm begging forgiveness here.....

Cheers

Joe

Joe

Knyvett joined the AIF in Sydney as a Private with the 14th reinforcements to the 7th Battalion in October 1915.Embarked from Melbourne on the 28th January 1916.Unfortunately his Gallipoli chapters are made up.I suppose he added something on Gallipoli to impress his American readers with the role of the Australians in taking on the Turk and the German.

Peter

Thank you very much Peter for clearing this. Greatly appreciated that you took the time to explain.

Cheers

Joe