Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The dreaded 'Blanco'

navyman

Hello all,

I expect that many members have, like myself spent a lot of time applying 'Blanco'. How many have tried to get the stuff off?

I'm trying, unsuccessfully, to remove the ceremonial white in order to return this sling to khaki colour. This may be a fools errand but if anyone has a tip it will save me buying a new sling. Also, is it still possible to buy the original 'Blanko', or is it now as rare as rocking horse s...., sorry, as rare as hens teeth?

Cheers,

groger.

post-45038-1248263478.jpg

In my day, a change of camp often meant a change of blanco. If it was necessary to remove the old stuff, it was a soap, water and very stiff scrubbing brush job. And a real pain in the a*se.

Quite a lot of white coloured Enfield slings have recently been on the market in the US I believe they came from Canadian stocks.I bought a couple some weeks ago. They appear to actually have been painted white, rather than blancoed. It has proven very difficult to remove as, unlike blanco, stiff brushes and scrubbing did not remove it. In the end I repainted one white (hey everyone needs one parade rifle!) If you find a solution I would be interested in it! I did have some a few years ago and, on the advice of a forum member, I put them in a net laundry bag and ran them through the hot cycle on the washingmachine... the vast majority was gone and they were dry before Mrs 4thGordons got home!

Chris

Thanks Phil,

I had a feeling this would be the way, if it doesn't work, a friend suggested using shoe repair stain and then re- blanko over that?

It's only an experiment so I will probably have to get a replacement. It's for a SMLE so I expect they are pretty easily obtained.

Cheers,

Groger.

Quite a lot of white coloured Enfield slings have recently been on the market in the US I believe they came from Canadian stocks.I bought a couple some weeks ago. They appear to actually have been painted white, rather than blancoed. It has proven very difficult to remove as, unlike blanco, stiff brushes and scrubbing did not remove it. In the end I repainted one white (hey everyone needs one parade rifle!) If you find a solution I would be interested in it! I did have some a few years ago and, on the advice of a forum member, I put them in a net laundry bag and ran them through the hot cycle on the washingmachine... the vast majority was gone and they were dry before Mrs 4thGordons got home!

Chris

Hello Chris,

As this week I've already used wifes kitchen broom handle to turn up a dummy 20mm projectile, I don't think she would be too pleased if I get to work using the wash machine, but life is full of challenges, I'll think about that one!

All best,

Groger.

groger try a cheap liquid paint remover from well known UK do it yourself stores.

It is not as abusive as the more stronger versions and I have used it on cloth/material other than metal (which is its primary use).

If used sparingly and then you wash with normal soap and water I think you will be pleased. Sorry to state the obvious about paint remover but it works on most things if used carefully. It even removes rust and grease!

Dry thoroughly though for rotting purposes.

Mark

I put 2 small packs in the washing machine having wrapped the brasses in socks, they came out blanco free.

Mick

groger try a cheap liquid paint remover from well known UK do it yourself stores.

It is not as abusive as the more stronger versions and I have used it on cloth/material other than metal (which is its primary use).

If used sparingly and then you wash with normal soap and water I think you will be pleased. Sorry to state the obvious about paint remover but it works on most things if used carefully. It even removes rust and grease!

Dry thoroughly though for rotting purposes.

Mark

Hello Mark,

Tried your paint remover tip this evening. As soon as it was applied the smell told me that it was indeed paint and not Blanco.

After one application the majority came off after a good scrub in water and detergent. I'll do a second coat tomorrow when it's dry. I'm sure this will remove the remainder. Thanks for the tip.

Regards,

Groger.