Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Required on missing Officer

griffo

I am new to the Forum and I am doing Research into the War Memorial at Porthill near Newcastle Staffs

I cannot find a Lieutenant Sydney A Grimswade on the CWGC as non are listed by that Name. I do not know his Regiment either thats the problem. The only thing is he would have lived in the Area of

Porthill or Wolstanton Newcastle Staffs. So if anyone could help I would be very grateful.

Cheers Griffo

Griffo,

Are you sure about the spelling - Sydney A Grimswade? Nothing for that surname on either Ancestry or TNA Medal Index Cards.

John

Griffo

AIR76 records at the National Archives will have his record.

Welcome to the Forum,by the way !

Sotonmate

Thank you all for your replies The one by Brian is the possible one and I had seen that on CWGC but because of the Selling on the Cenotaph having the S in and where his parents lived I kind of disregarded, but will dig deeper and Hartshill is only about 3 miles from Porthill but about 14 from Market Drayton. but once again thank you all Griffo

Welcome.

Numerous errors are shown up when people research memorials. I would start a thread naming the memorial as someone may have done it before.

Men could also end up on more than one memorial - His birthplace, abode, workplace etc

Steve M

• 2 years later...

There is a picture and a biography for Sidney A Grimwade in de Ruvigny's Roll of Honour.

It says he was born in Endon, Stoke-on-Trent. His father, Leonard Lumsden Grimwade, lived at The Watlands, Wolstanton. Sidney was involved in the family pottery business.

He originally served with the 5th North Staffs from 1914, and was serving in Ireland during the 1916 rebellion before going to France in Jan 1917 until injured in July 1917. On recovery in Nov 1917, he joined the RAF.

EDIT: And only 2 1/2 years late.