Remembered Today:

Records Anomaly

Guest kentaylor

Guest kentaylor

I would be extremely grateful if anybody out there can throw some light on my Great Uncles Pension Records, they are a bit confusing and I would like to know how the came about.

I will explain. Firstly it appears he joined the Territorial Force Middlesex Brigade on 2/10/1911 and was susequently discharged on 19/1/1015 as, and I quote " Being found medically unfit for further military service" He then has records for enlisting into the West Kent Yeomanry on 11/1/1915 and then being discharged on 14/5/1915 for and I quote again " Not being likely to become an efficient soldier"

At first glance on the Ancestry site I thought I had found two different people but on further inspection I discovered that they had given the same name of their father as next of kin and although the addresses were different, they were only two streets apart, they are definitely for the same person although they have given different ages in each instance.

His name by the way was Charles Aldis. Why was he discharged in this way twice? How did he manage to enlist twice, was this allowed?

Thanks

Ken

It was fairly easy to enlist more than once. He may have thought that he was not as unfit as the Army said he was but once in training they sussed him. Some men rejoined after being given white feathers etc by people who should have known better.

Steve M

Hello Ken

It is also possible that he re-enlisted thinking that, although he was unfit fot active service, he was fit enough for home service which is all the Territorials (including Yeomanry) originally enlisted for.

In early 1915 there was a general disinclination to turn away a willing volunteer, and the medical criteria were stretched a bit. It seems, though, that whatever was wrong with him could not make him able to serve, even on home defence or, say, on clerical duties.

You also come across discharges and re-enlistments when the original enlistment was under age. Victor Silvester, the famous bandleader, joined up at 16 and was discharged, but was conscripted later when he turned 18.

Ron

I would be extremely grateful if anybody out there can throw some light on my Great Uncles Pension Records, they are a bit confusing and I would like to know how the came about.

I will explain. Firstly it appears he joined the Territorial Force Middlesex Brigade on 2/10/1911 and was susequently discharged on 19/1/1015 as, and I quote " Being found medically unfit for further military service" He then has records for enlisting into the West Kent Yeomanry on 11/1/1915 and then being discharged on 14/5/1915 for and I quote again " Not being likely to become an efficient soldier"

At first glance on the Ancestry site I thought I had found two different people but on further inspection I discovered that they had given the same name of their father as next of kin and although the addresses were different, they were only two streets apart, they are definitely for the same person although they have given different ages in each instance.

His name by the way was Charles Aldis. Why was he discharged in this way twice? How did he manage to enlist twice, was this allowed?

Thanks

Ken

Hi Ken: I know of a Canadian soldier that had enlisted four times and had three differnt numbers. Everytime he would be medically d/c'd he would go to another town and sign up. On one occasion it was the day after d/c. I think the army finally got tired of him and so they put him on garrison duty in Canada. He died three years later of heart disease and I suspect he thought if he was going to die it might as well be for his country so he kept signing up

Regards, Ron.

Ken

We also have a relative who signed up twice.

Charles Edward White "attested" to join the Lancers on 17 Sept 1914 - he was under age, and his service record (which survives for this period) clearly shows that for his age he wrote "17" then crossed it out and wrote 18. (He was actually still 16.) He was discharged in Dec 1914 as "Not being likely to become an efficient soldier." Record also shows, on his Application for Discharge, that the cause was "effect of old injury - limited movement right hand - unable to handle arms." I guess this could have been the medics finding a way out for him as he was too young.

However, he clearly signed up again at some point - although we're not sure exactly when, as any further service records for him haven't survived - as he served with the Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment) and was Killed in action in March 1918, at Achiet-le-Grand.

So I was interested to read of your relative, as it is similar to our own experience. Puzzling at first! But it definitely did happen.

Eirian