Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Navy Medal?

cockney tone

Ladies & Gents,

Pal's,

knowing of my 'anorakism' with anything to do with 'Wars' my Sister in Law has shown me a couple of family medal's in her possession. One of them I have never seen the sort of before, but I think its Great War, stupidly I did not photograph it! :huh: So will try to describe it! Its a lovely little medal!

Silver, picture of a ship on one side with I think, DIUTURNE FIDELUS

On the other side a picture of a man in uniform (The King?) with Georgivs V Britt; Rex Et Ind Imp written around him.

The edge of the Medal is inscribed; 176407 PO B 2806 W E JOLLIFFE. L S RFR. I have tried a MIC search on the National Archives but could not locate him?

Any help or guidance would be greatfully accepted.

Regards and best wishes,

Scottie.

It would ne the Royal Navy Fleet Reserve. Long Service medal insituted in 1920 first issued in 1922.

Mick

Medal Index Cards are War Office (army) records and only show a small fraction of the medals to the Navy and its Reserves. He was in the Royal Fleet Reserve and that looks like their LSGC medal. The Admiralty produced their own medal rolls in alphabetical order, you should find his WWI medals on microfilm in ADM 171/117.

ADM 171/146 RFR Long Service Medal 1921-1932

ADM 171/147 RFR Long Service Medal 1933-1942

His service register is online, which will show his service from 1893. He might have served in the colonial wars.

Name Tolliffe, William Ernest

Official Number: 176407

Place of Birth: Brading Isle of Wight

Date of Birth: 26 April 1878

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

Pal's,

thats amazing, thanks so much for this. I have googled this info which has revealed a picture of the Medal and it confirms its the same!

If it was first given in 1922 he racked up a fair bit of service then!

It must be me, but when I have tried to search for his papers on the link provided it will not let me connect!

Regards and best wishes,

Scottie.

Horatio,

having trouble with a link on another thread request I have running, normally I don't have a problem but today it keeps coming up!

Browser Settings Warning

You may have disabled cookies and/or JavaScript on your browser or your browser may not support them.

You will not be able to use this service unless they are both enabled.

Please see help for more detailed information.

Your"details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=3479803&queryType=1&resultcount=5&FromBrowserErrorPage=Y" required page may not function as expected. Click here to continue.

Regards and best wishes,

Scottie.

It would depend how much of his service was actually as a regular. He may not have been entitled to any other medals.

Mick

Mick,

thanks for that, I will pass this on to my Sister in Law (As my wife is not interested!) and see if she wishes me to pursue trying to get hold of his record (Think I will even if she doesn;t want to!)

Regards and best wishes,

Scottie.

I will amend that statement slightly, he obviously could have served at a reservist.

Mick

The Navy had a test mobilisation in July 1914 and mobilised all reserves before the outbreak of the war. His minimum medal entitlement would be a singleton BWM in addition to the LSGC, but he probably earned a 1914-15 Star trio as he was still active when the RFR LSGC medal was issued.

The UKNA seem to have catalogued a typo: he is the only, Tolliffe but there are over 50 Jolliffes including 11 from the Isle of Wight:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...mp;mediaarray=*

The Royal Fleet Reserve was founded in 1903, so he would have served until at least then. Possibly he served his first period of continuous service and then went into the RFR or had a bad patch during his initial service only to come good later, but no need to speculate it will be on his record.

Pal's,

thank you for your continued interest and advvice, looks like my wife has a strong family connection with the Isle of Wight!

Regards and best wishes,

Scottie.

Forgot to say with regards to all campaign medals you have to cross reference the ships he served on with Gordon's British Battles & Medals and then the medal rolls. For WWI there's a big hint: the record is stamped "paid War Gratuity."