Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scottish Rifles

samdog

Hello

I have just discovered my grandfather's war medal which states that he was a member of the Scottish Rifles, Private Thomas Wright, Regiment Number 14489. His Medal Card states that he was a member of the Labour Corps and a second Regiment Number 645060 is also listed. The card also states that the first theatre of war he served in was France, date of entry 20/09/1915. He did survive the Great War seemingly demobed 22/03/1919 - he lived till the 1970s!.

Can anyone offer any information as I am not sure what battalion the regiment was with. I have searched the National Archives but I have found only his medal card.

Any information would be gratefully received as my grandfather is a mystery to me. Especially since he was born and raised in Darlington, County Durham - I can't figure out how he came to enlist with a Scottish regiment !

Thankyou

Clare

Welcome to the forum Clare

the date of entry is consistent with the 11th Battalion which was formed in Hamilton during October 1914 as part of K3 (Kitchener's 3rd 100, 000 volunteers or 3rd New Army). The battalion was part of the 77th Infantry Brigade of the 26th Division and only remained in France until November 1915 when the division was sent to Macedonia where they remained until the Armistice (30th September1918).

A transfer to the Labour Corps may suggest that your Grandfather was injured at some point and on returning for duty he may have been deemed unfit for frontline duties. Forum member Ivor Lee is an expert when it comes to the Labour Corps so it 's worth getting in touch with him as he may be able to offer a date of issue for the LC number.

As for him joining a Scottish regiment it's not unusual, he could have followed his mates or he may have been swayed by the recruiting Sgt on the day. I have two relatives who joined Scottish units one of which was a kilted one which I'm sure turned a few heads as he walked through the streets of Sheffield when he was home on leave.

cheers, Jon

Hello, Clare: The MIC you quoted seems to my eyes to give a number of 14487 - not 14489. Is that your typo or is it a different Thomas Wright? That was a very common name, even in the Cameronians. Yours, Antony

Clare

His Labour Corps number suggests he was transferred to the Corps in September 1918 and in the UK but I cannot link it to a specific company.

Ivor

Hello, Clare: The MIC you quoted seems to my eyes to give a number of 14487 - not 14489. Is that your typo or is it a different Thomas Wright? That was a very common name, even in the Cameronians. Yours, Antony

Hi Antony; Yes sorry it is a typo correct number is 14487.

Thank you

Clare

Welcome to the forum Clare

the date of entry is consistent with the 11th Battalion which was formed in Hamilton during October 1914 as part of K3 (Kitchener's 3rd 100, 000 volunteers or 3rd New Army). The battalion was part of the 77th Infantry Brigade of the 26th Division and only remained in France until November 1915 when the division was sent to Macedonia where they remained until the Armistice (30th September1918).

A transfer to the Labour Corps may suggest that your Grandfather was injured at some point and on returning for duty he may have been deemed unfit for frontline duties. Forum member Ivor Lee is an expert when it comes to the Labour Corps so it 's worth getting in touch with him as he may be able to offer a date of issue for the LC number.

As for him joining a Scottish regiment it's not unusual, he could have followed his mates or he may have been swayed by the recruiting Sgt on the day. I have two relatives who joined Scottish units one of which was a kilted one which I'm sure turned a few heads as he walked through the streets of Sheffield when he was home on leave.

cheers, Jon

Thank you Jon, your information has really helped me to understand more about my Grandfathers movements in the Great War.

Clare