hdbw38

MARTIN, FREDERICK GEORGE

Initials: F G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Fusiliers

Unit Text: "W" Coy. 4th Bn.

Date of Death: 27/03/1916

Service No: SR/8526

Additional information: Son of Frederick George and Mary Ann Martin, of 6, Cleveland Rd. Acton Green, London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 6 and 8.

Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

I assume that as he is on the Ypres memorial he has no actual burial. I would like to know when he enlisted (does his service no. refer) and where his regiment were serving on the day he died. i cant find a service record for him on Ancestry. Are regimental diaries available on line or must one go to Kew? thanks for help. Regards H

H

you can download the diary for March - June 1916 here. His may have been given a decent burial but was subsequently lost in later fighting. His is listed as having been born and a resident of Acton and enlisted in Hounslow. He was reported KiA on that date

cheers, Jon

I've had a quick check for his pension & service record but appear not to exist.

His MIC shows the date of entry to France as 11-11-1914. As his number was SR/8526 this is possibly Special Reserve?

This would indicate he was a pre-war reservist with previous proffesional experience.

Interestly, his MIC has written on the card Pres dead 27/3/16. This means presumed dead as opposed to Missing In Action. IE:- Nobody had a clue as to how he went missing!

Hope this helps

Steve

I've had a quick check for his pension & service record but appear not to exist.

His MIC shows the date of entry to France as 11-11-1914. As his number was SR/8526 this is possibly Special Reserve?

This would indicate he was a pre-war reservist with previous proffesional experience.

Interestly, his MIC has written on the card Pres dead 27/3/16. This means presumed dead as opposed to Missing In Action. IE:- Nobody had a clue as to how he went missing!

Hope this helps

Steve

Silly question - floundering in jargon - what does MIC mean please - is this the medal card?. Regarding "pres dead" Hmmmmmm - He is commemorated at Ypres so presume someone decided he had died KIA not just disappeared!! Would there have been a time limit before this (i think it's 7 years now if someone disappears) - I feel for his parents if they had to wait a long time. He was my father's cousin but I know very little about the family and there is no one left to ask. Again my thanks H

Yes it refers to his Medal Index Card.

If you send me a PM with your email I will gladly send you a copy of his MIC.

Steve

PS:- PM refers to Private Message. Its one of the options in My Controls at the top of the page.

Yes it refers to his Medal Index Card.

If you send me a PM with your email I will gladly send you a copy of his MIC.

Steve

PS:- PM refers to Private Message. Its one of the options in My Controls at the top of the page.

Thank you. I have now found his MIC - interesting! I have also downloaded the RF diaries and am just settling down to read them. Am so glad I found this site - it really is most helpful. Thank you to all those kind people who help with research and advice. H

Hi H.

I have a copy of the war diary for the 4th Bn R/Fusiliers, and it states that they were on the 27/3/1916 in the trenches at ST,ELOI.Quote At 4.15 A.M.four mines exploded and after an interval of 30 seconds the Battalion went over the papapets to the assault. W and X Coy's. on the left of Y and Z Coy's on the right.An intense rifle and machine gun and artillery fire opened on the battalion,at once we lost heavily before they had advanced very far. We took the German first line trench and the Northumberland Fusiliers on our right took 2 lines of trenches.

Both Bns consolidated the captured trenches. Heavy artillary bombardment of trenches was kept up all day, our own artillary replied very effectively and did much damage to the enemy trenches.

From 8.30 p.m to 12 midnight intense artillary fire was kept up by the Germans,all our trenches and C.Ts being badly knocked about.

2nd Battalion the Royal Scots arrived about 9 p.m to relieve the Bn, but were unable to do so owing to shell fire. About midnight relief in small parties commenced and was finally finished about 6 a.m on the 28th instant

Hope this is of some help to you.

Best Regards Andy.

Hi Again H.

My Gt Uncles service number was S/R 9571, and was in the same Bn at some time and came from Fulham.

Regards Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, "H".

I'm currently researching the Rolls of Honour for Acton Green Churches (St Peters, All Saints and St Albans).

I'm also compiling details of the two Acton Cemeteries to try and ensure all Acton Green commemorations are recorded.

Your great uncle is on the St Albans RoH, but what I would like is to add more detail, such as Regiment and Date of Death and where possible, what action led to their deaths, in order to mke them more than "just" a name on a Memorial.

This information has obviously helped in his case, as it was recently for 2nd Lt B R Penderel Brodhurst, whose grave marker we have.

I doubt I'll succeed for the majority, but with the help such as you have found, as well as myself, there is always the possibility that this can be achieved.

It's amazing the power of the Internet when used to help others in this way.

Regards, Kevin

Hello, "H".

I'm currently researching the Rolls of Honour for Acton Green Churches (St Peters, All Saints and St Albans).

I'm also compiling details of the two Acton Cemeteries to try and ensure all Acton Green commemorations are recorded.

Your great uncle is on the St Albans RoH, but what I would like is to add more detail, such as Regiment and Date of Death and where possible, what action led to their deaths, in order to mke them more than "just" a name on a Memorial.

This information has obviously helped in his case, as it was recently for 2nd Lt B R Penderel Brodhurst, whose grave marker we have.

I doubt I'll succeed for the majority, but with the help such as you have found, as well as myself, there is always the possibility that this can be achieved.

It's amazing the power of the Internet when used to help others in this way.

Regards, Kevin

Hi Kevin Interesting that your research has been helped by my topic. Does the ROH only contain names of those KIA or also those who served but survived. Am interested in finding details of my Frederick's father who appears from a rather indistinct photo of cap badge to have served in AOC. He is aslo called Frederick George as shown on CG cert for his son. Cant seem to identify him from MICs. Do you by any chance have any photos of the St Albans memorial? H

Sorry, I don't know for certain, as I am finding that some names do NOT have CWGC entries, and I feel that the number of inconsistencies would not have been permitted if if this was a register of deaths. Be that as it may, there is only one entry for F G Martin with no further details.

St Albans is in the process of being sold, so all "moveable2 items have been moved to St Peters Acton Green for safe keeping. The only photo I have is of the entire memorial as it was back in the 1990's. It doesn't show the names, simply a view of the general layout. Send me a PM and I'll send it to you if you wish.

I have also found another local resident, on the All Saints Memorial, as below

Name: JANES, WILLIAM GEORGE JOCK

Rank: Private Service No: 81994 "W" Coy. 4th Bn. Royal Fusiliers

Additional information: Son of Mrs. S. A. and the late John Janes, of 190, Bath Rd., Hounslow, Middx.

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. L. 11. Cemetery: Sandpits British Cemetery, Fouqueriuel

Remarkably, the same Company, not just Regiment!! Coincidence or what??

So, any information on him?

Cheers, Kevin

• 4 years later...

This last entry is my Gerat Uncle on my Mothers side!!!

I think it was at the Battle of Bethune unless anyone can tell me otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

He is buried in the Sandpits Cemetary. His name was William George Janes with the but he had a nickname of "Jock" which seems to have been included in the details.

The only living relative I know of at the moment is my Mother (his niece) and she does not remember why he was called Jock.

She would not have known him of course, she is 93.

I would be interested to know where the memorial is now and if it is possible to visit it.