Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt W E Sadler attd A Coy 2nd Bn South Lancs Regt

TrevorHH

Hi All

I have been recently researching the life of the above officer who was killed on 8th May 1915 whilst his battalion was in trenches on Hill 60. I intend sometime to go to Kew to look at the 2nd South Lancs War Diary for the period concerned, however in the meantime was wondering if anyone has any information from the diary or elsewhere who could tell me what were the South Lancs doing on Hill 60 in early May 1915.

Many thanks

Trevor

TH

The War Diary is under WO95/1414 and runs from Aug 1914 to Oct 1915. The unit was part of 3 Division and held Trenches 38/39/41/42 and 47 around Hill 60 around this time.

Sotonmate

Alexander Johnston's (3rd Div Signal Officer)diary noted heavy fighting on Hill 60 in early May. On 6th May efforts were made to recapture trenches taken by the Germans. They succeeded in capturing all but the summit by the evening. Things then seemed to have quietened down, with Johnston reporting heavy fighting further north in the Salient. For the 8th he mentions heavy fighting on Hill 60, but again failing to capture the summit.

Edwin

Trevor

The War Diary was unobtainable today,it was out with another reader for all of the day.

Sotonmate

Hi Sontonmate

Many thanks for attempting to look at the 2nd South Lancs War Diary for me. I will add to to my 'do list' when I go to the NA shortly.

Kind regards

Trevor

• 1 month later...

Trevor

Persistence pays. I got copy pages from WO95/1414 yesterday for the 1-10 May 1915. PLease PM your e-mail and I will send on.

Sotonmate

Hi Sotonmate

Thank you for your message and for looking at the 2nd South Lancs Diary for me. My email is trevorhancock@waitrose.com.

Kind regards

Trevor