Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Map request for Varlet Farm

jdajd

I am looking for Varlet Farm on a trench map. I have the WFA map cds and have been through them, but frankly there are so many I may have blurred over it. I also do not think that it appears in sheet 28, which the cd covers, but rather in 20 in either the Bixschoote or Westroosbeke, but that is just a guess. I know that it appears on a contemporaneous trench map and there are some others in the area, Vapour and Venture Farms that would suggest its in the same area just not shown on that particular map. I am putting together a scrap book of a recent trip and wanted to include the map so any help would be appreciated.

Jon

Jon - Varlet Farm is on sheet 20 - the reference is 20 V 27 d 85 15

It isn't named on any trench maps I've seen, but stands out due to the moat around it

Alan

Using "Linesman", Varlet Farm SE of Poelcapelle, co-ordinates..... 50'54.386N, 2'59.126E

regards

Tom

post-5284-1247731790.jpg

Thanks that was just what I was looking for. Does the D square contain Passchendaele or the site ofPasschendaele New British Cemetary? Thanks again

Jon

Yes, Jon, Passchendaele village and New British Cemetery are both toward the top right of square D

Alan

Towsiuk, That last was the exact thing I was looking for. Am I correct that that map is a composite? Any way great job and Thanks again, again.

Jon

Yes Jon, two maps in the "Linesman" package "merged, using one of the many tools that is included in the software that comes with the trench maps.

regards

Tom

Are you a Linesman salesman? :D You're really making me think I should pick it up. I bought the WFA Mapping the Front, which are amazing, but very hard to navigate. May have to look into it...

Incidentally, what is the date the maps are corrected to?

Jon

The map with Passchendaele is dated to 4/10/17.

I have the original Trench map CD from the imperial war museum as well as one of the new WFA "Mapping the Front" maps, but by far the easiest to use, with a plethora of software features is "Linesman". Also I have a hand-held PDA for when I'm walking the battlefields and that package does the lot.

Its more expensive, but in this case you get what you pay for, the reason I mention Linesman when posting maps from that package, is to give due recognition to where the map is from.

regards

Tom

PS The reason I'm getting some of the WFA new map DVD's is because they cover some areas that the other packages don't

Does Linesman cover the whole Western Front or do you have to buy it piecemeal like the WFA cds? If it had the whole Somme/Ypres/ and American Battlefields I would definitely consider it, although without the GPS. Thanks again for all the help.

Jon

Excellent Western front coverage on "Linesman" Jon, but with the rules governing advertising on the forum it would be better to contact Guy Smith

("Smithmaps" on the forum) direct, and he will give you full details of the linesman package.

regards

Tom

Excellent Western front coverage on "Linesman" Jon, but with the rules governing advertising on the forum it would be better to contact Guy Smith

("Smithmaps" on the forum) direct, and he will give you full details of the linesman package.

regards

Tom

Tom

There are no Forum rules that cover you as a user. You can say what you wish about any product as long as you have no connection.

It is me that cannot say anything on open forum, as I have a financial interest in the product, and would therefore be breaching the rules.

So I have to leave any discussion to others.

Guy

• 7 years later...
Guest Phaedrus_a_315

@towisuk,

Hello there - any chance you could repost the map above of 16/7/2009 and include about another 500 yards to starboard and hence include Source Farm and Tournant Farm? South as far as cemetery is good. West about as far as Burns house. So therefore all of squares 27 and 28 please. RND researcher new on site. Many Thanks in anticipation.

Source and Tournant Farms available here: http://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo%3A70079/-/collection

Bottom left!

Edited by m0rris

Tournant Farm   Map Sheet 20SE3   Map Sheet Name  Westrossebeke  Location 50deg 54.588 N 2deg 59.7701E Map Sq. V28

John