Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Bacon

Chris Caul

I went to the PRO yesterday to try and get my Gt Grandfathers army record. All I had to go on was his date of birth, he was from Derby, and he is believed to have served virtually all of the war in Mesopotamia.

On the medal roll I found 3 possibles - all George Bacons that joined up with the Notts and Derbys. 1 of them was transferred to the Labour corps, and I'm pretty sure that he is my gt grandfather.

I tried the wo 393 and wo 394 records and couldn't find any record of any of the 3 possibles, which presumably means they were destroyed. The medal rolls don't record dob's or home addresses, so although I'm fairly confident I've got the right one I still need to prove it. Any ideas?

Would the Notts and Derbys have just forwarded his records to the Labour corps in their entirety, or would they have kept some record that he initially joined up with them (I had a great uncle who joined up with the Notts and Derbys but was transferred to the DLI in France, and he is just recorded as having served with the DLI). Where would the Labour corps war diaries etc, be kept?

Chris.

Not much help I know, but I was talking to a curator at the Staffordshire Regimental Museum last week and he told me that they handed over all records to an OR’s new regiment and effectively then lost interest in him.