Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

105th Auxiliary Petrol Coy, ASC

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick

I managed to lift this unit and a soldier's number written in feint pencil off the back of a photograph with a UV light recently. Can anyone shed some light onthe role of these Units - I am assuming they transported petrol to tankadromes and aerodromes etc.

Ian :)

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Steam Companies - did they get their supplies from Haig's HQ :ph34r:

With things being more horse power than mechanical, I was trying to think of the applications <_<

Ian

Ian,

Michael Young’s history ‘ASC – 1902 to 1918’ has very little on the co.s but here is one example

“590 MT Company was allocated as the 20th Auxiliary Petrol Company, but perhaps surprisingly not all their work was involved with petroleum. They did general transport duties and forestry work too. In May 1916, for example nine charabancs were attached for the transportation of wounded arriving at Rive Gauche Station in Rouen for transportation to local hospitals and to hospital ships.”

The next question for you is, how typical was the above of the work done by other APC.s?

In addition, page 245 has a table which might be of use: it describes the War Establishment November 1916 of

‘An Auxiliary (Petrol) Company ASC,

(L. of C.)

(Headquarters and 3 Sections, each of 15 Petrol Lorries)’

Regards

Michael D.R.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Michael,

Very many thanks - To be very honest I have given the ASC very little consideration in the past, until I found out that a cousin of my grandfather served with them in the war. Since then I have attempted to get an understanding of what is a very underated unit of the army at the time. We all seem to forget that without the ASC, the Infantry could not function.

Ian

That’s right Ian,

not as glamorous as the front-line infantry,

but then, what good is an infantryman in the font-line if he has received no supplies?

Regards

Michael D.R.

[One grandfather RND and one ASC]