Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian nurses at Gallipoli

kjharris

Hi there,

I understand that a small number of Canadian nurses served on a hospital ship in the sea ferry service off the coast of Gallipoli for one voyage in 1915 while they were waiting to go to Salonika. Can anyone help with names or details of which ship they may have been on.

Many thanks, Kirsty Harris

• 1 month later...
Hi there,

I understand that a small number of Canadian nurses served on a hospital ship in the sea ferry service off the coast of Gallipoli for one voyage in 1915 while they were waiting to go to Salonika. Can anyone help with names or details of which ship they may have been on.

Many thanks, Kirsty Harris

If you can find a copy somewhere, Light's Out is a memoir written by a Canadian nurse who served with a stationary hospital in the Mediterranean. I think she mentions something about hospital ships, but can't be sure. The author's name is Katherine M. Wilson-Simmie and it was published in 1981 in Belleville. I'd check for you myself, but I'm home from school for the summer and won't have access to the university library for another couple of weeks.

If you can find a copy somewhere, Light's Out is a memoir written by a Canadian nurse who served with a stationary hospital in the Mediterranean. I think she mentions something about hospital ships, but can't be sure. The author's name is Katherine M. Wilson-Simmie and it was published in 1981 in Belleville. I'd check for you myself, but I'm home from school for the summer and won't have access to the university library for another couple of weeks.

Terrific, thanks very much. I'll try and get it via inter library loan. regards Kirsty