Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Whiskey Jack

Trinovantes

Dear pals,

During a recent trip to Vimy ridge I heard the story of a certain "Whiskey Jack".

He was apparently a native Canadian that would terrify the Germans by carrying out trench raids on his own and, so the story goes, scalp his victims !!!

Is there any truth in the story as I know there is a book called Three Day Road which is based on a charcter of the same name that was a very effective sniper.

Thanks,

John.

This sounds suspiciously similar to other stories regarding different nationalities. There are similar Gurkha and Rajput stories involving mutilation of the victims and I think I remember a story involving some of France's North African troops involving ears. However there seem to be no ANZAC equivalent stories involving their indigenous populations (or perhaps I haven't heard or read them). And no other nationalities (I think I'll make up a story about Demented Dai who used to leave a leek inserted about their person - or perhaps not)

(I think I'll make up a story about Demented Dai who used to leave a leek inserted about their person - or perhaps not)

Like I say it's a story that may have some truth somewhere !!!

As for your Dai I won't mention what pervy Paddy did with a spud !!! :blink:

:lol:

In the film Legend of the Fall the character played by Brad Pitt goes out into no mans land and scalps a few Germans after the loss of his brother