Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
asearle05

Bucks Territorials & Essex Regiment

asearle05

Hi! This is my first post. While reseaching my wife's family, we came across a memorial plaque in the church in Hulcott Buckinghamshire. On the plaque is her father's brother Frederick Curtis, Reg number 45095, number changed to 5373986 after re-enlistment. His milatary grave is in the graveyard of the church. The news paper account of the funeral stated that Frederick was the oldest surviving son of Charles and Mary Jane Curtis,this indicates to me that the eldest son Arthur Henry Curtis born 1889 is dead.I can find no record of his death, but on the plaque in the church there are two inscription's for a Harry Curtis of the Bucks Territorials who died of wounds 1917, the other Harry Curtis Died of wounds recieved in France March 1917. Are they one of the same the two Harry's, and could Harry be a nickname for Arthur Henry. Any help would be appreciated. Alan

ralphjd

Alan. Fredk C Curtis 45095 served in the Ox and Bucks according to his Medal Index Card. An Arthur Henry Curtis 634285 20th Co of London Regt born Hoxton enlisted Whitehall resided Bethnall Green died of wounds 9-4-1918 and buried Nederzwehren Cemetry Germany. FreeBmd gives an A H Curtis born 1889 died 1891 registered West Ham. About to have a look for Harry Curtis now. Ralph.

ralphjd

Alan. The only Harry Curtis I can find serving in the Ox and Bucks is 267106 Curtis 2/4th Batt died of wounds 14-6-1918 enlisted Skegness resided Wainfleet Lincs buried Aire Comm Cem. Ralph.

asearle05
Alan. The only Harry Curtis I can find serving in the Ox and Bucks is 267106 Curtis 2/4th Batt died of wounds 14-6-1918 enlisted Skegness resided Wainfleet Lincs buried Aire Comm Cem. Ralph.

The Harry Mentioned on the plaque died march 1917. My Arthur Henry was born 1889 in Godmanchester Huntingdonshire

Thanks for your information I can now eliminate the ones you gave me from my search. Alan

nikycharles
On 10/07/2009 at 16:43, asearle05 said:

Hi! This is my first post. While reseaching my wife's family, we came across a memorial plaque in the church in Hulcott Buckinghamshire. On the plaque is her father's brother Frederick Curtis, Reg number 45095, number changed to 5373986 after re-enlistment. His milatary grave is in the graveyard of the church. The news paper account of the funeral stated that Frederick was the oldest surviving son of Charles and Mary Jane Curtis,this indicates to me that the eldest son Arthur Henry Curtis born 1889 is dead.I can find no record of his death, but on the plaque in the church there are two inscription's for a Harry Curtis of the Bucks Territorials who died of wounds 1917, the other Harry Curtis Died of wounds recieved in France March 1917. Are they one of the same the two Harry's, and could Harry be a nickname for Arthur Henry. Any help would be appreciated. Alan

Hi, Hopefully you can be of help, I believe my Great Grandmother married Frederick Curtis her name was Catherine Turney can you maybe help with some info? I know this post is old but here's hoping. Nik